Thread: Win XP...How much Ram???

Win XP...How much Ram???

How much Ram will XP accomadate? I know Win 98 and ME had a problem if you put in over 512 megs.

the minimum requirements from what i heard is 256mb! but if you add more XP will be able to use it unlike the win9x kernel!

JaYsin

There really is'nt any limit on RAM since XP is built on the Windows 2000 core, it'll take whatever you can fit in your machine. I would'nt go below 256MB. I'm running 512MB at home and 1GB at work.
    It'll run nicely at 256MB i'd go for 512MB+ especially since RAM is so cheap

KMA
    It will eat 128Mb like a kid eats candy. Usally double what Ms recommends is needed for good performance.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...on/sysreqs.asp

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

I've run it on machines with 64M and slow processors. Might as well power it up and go get coffee. It may be done when you get back. 128M gets fair performance, but still a bit logy. With ram prices these days, you'd have to be nuts or broke to put less than 256M into the box.

I'd go with 512MB minimum. Also, if your video card has less than 16MB, you won't be able to use some of the screensavers which come in the WindowsXP Plus! pack.

With RAM much cheaper now, its not a big deal to put 2 512MB chips and have 1GB.