Thread: linux question...cable modem setup

Hybrid View

linux question...cable modem setup

Has anyone had a problem getting a cable modem to work on Linux (Mandrake 7.2) ??

Its set up on a NIC and it refuses to work.

Im a linux newbie, and Im using KDE as a GUI..

Please be gentle thx

So you have an external cable modem connected to your linux comp via a nic? Is there anything between your comp and the modem? How do you get an ip? DHCP? If so, does the cable company have the correct MAC addy for your nic? Did this work previously with a Windows machine or is there another machine on the lan that is a windows machine(since you mentioned being a linux newbie)? Lastly describe your home network and inlude product types, brands, and models, if applicable.

Banti

Middle Age Member
    Does it work on this same machine using Windows? If so, what are the network/ethernet settings in Windows? IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway? Do you need to add a nameserver address?

In Drake 7.2 are you using netconf or DrakConf >Network and Internet configuration? -you may want to give both a try. Do you require a password or proprietary software to connect?

Ok,
    1. this is on a dual boot machine w/Win98se, It works in there..
    2. It is DHCP, dynamic IP assigned by cable co.
    3. External Cable modem (Ericsson) connected to the NIC. No other PC's on it at the moment.
    4. No df gateways, sub mask, or anything..cable co assigns all.
    5. No password to connect, (in windows)
    6. I was using DrakConf...

when booting into Linux is has an error msg saying something to the point that it cannot use the NIC (dhcpcd)

some error when trying to connect (eht0)

trying to go from memory until i get home this evening..

Hello,
    Have you tried to restart the network ? If so does it sit there saying staritng eth0? and then time out? If so lets make sure the NIC is working okay. You can test this by assigning a static IP address and then attempt to ping the cable modem. A safe IP address to assign would be 192.168.0.99, odds are extremely good that no other computers or devices on you LAN have the IP address. Also, enter a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, there is no need to worry about the DNS entires, host name or anything else at this time.

To ping the cable modem open a terminal (like kterm, xterm, aterm, something which may have picture of a sea shell) and type ping ip.of.cable.modem This should be in covering in some manual given to you by your ISP. Mine is 10.5.1.2
    Paul

Tried giveing it an ip last night and pinging it. No response.
    The first error ir gives me when Im booting up is something to the effect of that it cannot get the ip information for eth0 (dhcpcf) ?

Middle Age Member
    Let us know what kind of NIC you have.

To test the nic, you can always "ping 127.0.0.1". This ip is a universal loopback ip address. Your nic will ping itself. I usually use this as a standard first test.

Banti

Here is the NIC, 99% sure its this one..
    They have Linux drivers...should I try to download them and try it??

If so where do I put the specific drivers for Linux...

SMC NIC

Hello,
    I have an SMC NIC and it works great! Mine is pretty old and uses the tulip module. I would think your's is similar. DId you try to give it a static IP address?

OK, I can ping it fine from the console...at 127.0.0.1

and that other 1% that I thought it wasnt a SMC....well it isn't Its an HP, but its acting like its a SMC.

I think my problem is the login....where do I put that information in...I forgot it was set up as a one time deal...

Hello,
    I am 99.99 % sure the drivers are already installed

I am not too sure about the login, I would guess this is done with a web browser pointed at the cable modems IP address.

Im pretty sure by the error its giving me that its the login now, since weve pretty much narrowed it down. because the error when starting linux up says "error in determining ip information in dhcpcd" Im assuming its trying to get an ip but it cant due to the login problem...as soon as I can figure out how to get that going I should be good to go..