Thread: Changing IRQ on NIC card

Changing IRQ on NIC card

I have a 3 Com NIC card, and need to change the IRQ off of 9 due to a conflict. I have tried forcing it to 10 in the BIOS on a few diff PCI slots with no luck. I can get other devices to 10, just not the NIC. Any ideas??

Is the card Plug and Play? 3com.com has diagnostic software which may help

Maface is right.

1) if the card is not plug-and-play, you will have to move dip switches or jumpers onthe NIC to reassign the IRQ

2) the other alternative, depending upon your BIOS, is to force an IRQ assignment to a particular slot on the motherboard

If the card is PCI you could also try chaning its slot position. Usually the PCI closest to the ISA slot or closest to the edge of the mobo gets assigned first. If your BIOS is assigning the same IRQ to different PCI cards - it should still work fine. If you still want a seperate IRQ for a particular PCI card (which is contrary to the way PCI works) then try disabling resources your not using to allow a larger pool of available IRQs. (i.e. COM2, Second EIDE channel if not being used, PS2 mouse if using a USB mouse, etc.)
    Also, as ctaylor mentions, some BIOS settings on some motheboards allow you to assign IRQ based on PCI slot number.

Yes I have the option in the BIOS, and yes i have tried it many different time. The problem is that Win 2k assigns all PCI slots to the same IRQ and then uses virtual pathways to avoid conflicts, BUT in order for the ATI wonder VE card to work properly, and not freeze my computer, my NIC card nees to be on a different IRQ than that Tuner Card. I have already tried re assigning teh Tuner card, but it will only reassign teh audio capture...leaving the video capture on 9, and still haveing huge conflicts. Any ideas?

Is the 'conflict' really causing a problem? The PCI standard is designed to share IRQ resources. If there is a problem then try removing the NIC temporarily...chances are the problem will still exist.

ATI is telling me that this is the problem, it happens with the TV tuner. My friend, with the same card, had the same problem, so he switched PCI Slots, which constquently changed the NIC IRQ, and boom problem gone. Unfortunately I cannot get the NIC to change because of windows 2000. I am going to call ATI tomorrow and see if they are of any help.

Well, as far as removing the NIC goes, that is a no can as a permanent solution, as I am on a network and hence need the NIC. I will try later tonight, as I need to redownload the drivers, I will uninstall and see how things go, then reinstall.
    Last edited by krohnjw; 10-10-2001 at 06:59 PM.

Turn off "Plug N Play Operating System" in the bios, then set the NIC and other card to totally different IRQ's.

This forces the BIOS to control the IRQ's and Resources for the devices.

I read and posted a link to MS knowledge base in previous post on this subject, the only way to get Win2k to stop using ACPI is to remove ACPI support from your computer, and re-install Win2k, and never change your hardware around. (no dual boot)

Win2k is very hostile to people changing IRQ's, if you are having a specific problem, check with MS, they should know how to fix it, since it's thier OS, and they offer support for it.

Well, I completely uninstalled the NIC, and what do you know, no results. IT still freezes. SOOOO, now it is on to calling ATI again, and telling them to give me something real. Thanks for the help everyone.