Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 tyan tiger vs. 2 1.4 athlons

1 tyan tiger vs. 2 1.4 athlons

I hope some of the experts out there can help me.

after having searched and priced alot of systems and parts I have found that I could put together a tyan dual processor mobo system or I could put together 2 1.4 athlon mobo systems for about the same money.

so the question is "which do I do?"

base your feed back on crunching since this will be the main function of my purchase.

any feedback will be greatly appreciated, as I respect the opinions of a great many on this forum.

leighjag

Man, that's a tough question! The dual rig has the advanced chips, but until December when the Gigabyte boards hit the streets (dual overclockability) you cannot overclock them on the tiger! But the depending on the board you get, the 1.4's can be overclocked now!

I'm waiting until December...gotta have the duallie

Thanks randy

That is something I had overlooked in my decision to buy.

is that something I should consider or is overclocking just icing on the cake?

leighjag

A single system sounds cheaper to operate. Less of nearly everything to keep up... hardware, software, power, heat, & even space.

Two systems give you greater flexability (other uses like gaming, backup, etc...)

I'd go with the dual processor system though.

thanks for the reply DVNT1

should I consider software compatability with dual mobo or will 2k pro or winnt do the trick as far as operating systems?

and what about other software for the dual mobo is it something I should be concerned with?

leighjag

would about 200 people suggest something here. I am leighjag's roomate and I am getting sick of him moaning about all his tuff decisons. btw I am for the two 1.4 seperate computers.
    -Jig-

I'd go for two!

I vote for 1 AthlonXP 1800+ oced to 1.7Ghz. My supplier already has pricing for them and they are being officially released this week. The strange thing is, they are slightly cheaper then a comparible tbird (could be an error).

You should not have a problem using the AthlonXP's on a 760MP based board either. I know the plain athlons work. So you could do a dual system using them.

As for the AthlonMP's, the 1.4G chips are already popping up all over the place. I have also heard rumors of an even higher clocked version being released soon.

I hope I haven't made it worse.

should I consider software compatability with dual mobo or will 2k pro or winnt do the trick as far as operating systems?
    The only real software compatability issues are with the OS...and W2K Pro or WinNT would be fine.

Do it the easy way and make everyone happy, just build two duallies One with MP processors and one with the new XP's

Like you've been told, W2K and NT4.0 will both work the dual CPU systems.

Win98 will also run just fine on a dual proccessor system - it just won't use the second proccessor. Thus I have a dual boot system: win2K and win98SE.

Oh thats just great. Now I am going to have to go out and buy some more equipment to keep up with team JigMeister

Just when I think I have my sites set on the top 3 someone comes thru with some more funds for some kick a.. components.

Thats it, time for a garage sale

Dual AMD here I come

fshanda

It seems that although a duallie would be prestigous and something to brag about, unless someone can convince me that a duallie would kick the snot out of 2 1.4s (none of them overclocked) it looks like the 2 1.4s have it.

however I will wait till I get a few more responses before taking the plunge

"thank you for your support"

leighjag

leighjag,

I use to have 2ea dualie celeron 366/550. What that dualie did for me was I was able to use it as my"server" and have 2 instances of rc5 running for me for the cost of one.

That is the main reason I built them. So that I could crack 2 for the cost/maintenance of one. It would be real good reason to replace my celeron 600/901 raid box holding my mp3 and is now the domain controller.

Granted unless you are using an application which could use both processor, which I don't, you would just have a very powerful box which can really multi task very well.

Go for it, I'll have one soon as price and availability is there. There was just no good duallie available yet for AMD.

e

Hey, I have an idea!!! You build a dual system, park it at my house and I'll let ya take my 1.33 home with ya That way I can go thru all the trouble of getting the bugs out of the system for you
    A dang fine offer if ya ask me.
    Dete

p.s. Wow my 100th post....must slow down...don't like to rush these things