Thread: flash bios problem

flash bios problem

The BIOS on my motherboard is corrupted. My board would hang on boot.

When I took the CMOS battery out, the board will boot on floppy to A: prompt.

When I tried to flash the BIOS with the latest version, I got an error message "Clear Flash Failed" and then awdflash.exe exit to A: prompt.

Any suggestions?

Instead of awdflash ver. 5.0, I used a more recent version awdflash ver 7.36 and got a different error message "Unknown Flash Type". The awdflash again exit to A: prompt after the error message. Any suggestions?

are you 100% sure its an award bios?
    I ran into this, and I needed the ami bios, not award.

I had to create a boot disk, that mounts tha CD, then create a bootable CD in order for my PC to boot (it didnt recognoze the floppy with the wrong bios, but the CD would boot??)
    I created a boot CD that would mount the D: drive, which I burned the bios onto.

Double check the MOBO web site, and verify the bios type.

And Good Luck

I think you should verify the bios manufacturer, the flash utility, and the bios file you are trying to install. Something is wrong and you are going to wind up with a board that won't boot at all if you keep going. Also make sure you have the board you think you have.

I used the BIOS Agent software to check the existing BIOS on my motherboard, I got the following information:

Bios Date: 04/15/97
    Bios Type: Award Modular Bios v4.51PG
    Bios ID: 04/15/97-i430TX-NS336-2A59IQ19C-00
    Bios Eval: P5I430TX Titanium I Bios v2.1 04/15/97
    Chipset: Intel Triton 430TX rev 1
    Superio: NSC 336 rev 0 found at port 398h

I am pretty sure it is an Award BIOS and is v2.1. The new BIOS that I want to upgrade to is v2.4.

I tried different version of Award Flash software and still got the error message "Unknown Flash Type". I am confused why the flash software failed to recognize the flash chip on the motherboard and disallowed the upgrade.

either look at the manual, or get it from the web.
    take a look at the picture of the board, and make sure it is correct.
    thats how I messed up mine before.
    I grabbed the wrong manual, and just ASSUMED it ws the machine
    Like elroy said, dont do anything else until you know for sure which board it is.
    Good luck again

I checked the BIOS ID string to identify the motherboard. It is a QDI Titanium I.

I downloaded the manual, latest BIOS and flash utility from QDI.
    I check the motherboard diagram in the manual and the layout is the same as my motherboard.

I tried to flash the BIOS with the utility from QDI. I got the same warning message "Unknown Flash Type".

This is an easy one......why ?ecause it happened to me on a microstar board with the award bios.....The directions are clear but they leave out one thing:
    1. Unzip the file you downloaded. winzip,gozilla,whatever.
    2. Then as award says- make a boot disk with autoexe and config.sys out.
    3. When you unzip the file it will have a readme file and their own autoexe that you need to transfer to the boot disk.
    4. Insert disk-reboot system and don't touch anything until the sytem reboots - Once it reboots go into the bios and save it with a f10 I guess and then look for the date of your revision on the boot screen...lower left corner of the screen.

It Happen

are you sure your putting the correct filename in the box when it asks you? i didn`t last time i flashed my bios and i got the same message.

I found out that the reason the PC hung is because the L2 cache on the motherboard had gone bad.

I powered up the PC, hit DEL to enter SETUP, disabled the EXTERNAL CACHE and re-booted the PC. Now the PC can boot and run Windows 98 without problems.

I still don't understand why the AWDFLASH and BIOS files downloaded from the QDI website did not work on my board. Since the PC works, I stopped trying to flash the BIOS. I don't want to ruin anything.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Another mistery solved!

Congrats Willy

Are you sure you downloaded the update for the Titanium I and not the Titanium Ib or Ib+?

I traded my QDI Titanium Ib+ I had for 3 years for my current Chaintech mobo so I'm very familiar with this series.
    But, it goes to 11

The motherboard has Titanium I printed on it. Also, I used BIOS Agent to check and the software reported Titanium I.