Thread: always losing my ip address

always losing my ip address

tonight ive sat here trying to download 5 suse images and whenever i get close to the end (sometimes not even) i lose my internet connection. i check my ip and low and behold i get one of those bogus winblows ips' (169.x.x.x).

i gotta unplug my cable modem, power off my pc and put my thumbs in my keester for a few minutes. i then plug in my cable modem and wait for the go lights, reboot and im good to go.

i cant understand why this happens and im not calling cable to talk to their shotty "tech support" which is quite laughable.

anyone have this similar problem?? using win 2k for whatever help that may be.

SD

dhcp
    you cant wear your emotions on your sleeve if you dont want them ripped off

Even if your ISP uses DHCP to vend your IP address, check to see if you always get the same IP (some cable ISPs use 'reservedIP' ..your host name determines the IP you will always get). If this is true then write down the info and set it manually in your config as a static IP (don't need to detect it if you know what it is going to be). If your ISP has a short lease time with thier vended IPs then this will prevent their DHCP server from cutting your off every time the lease is up, because your client won't have to ask for another leased IP - it just uses what it knows will work.

If the above doesn't work then call you ISP and request the lease time to be increased or better yet ask for a static IP.

Also, if this does work then remember if you loose connectivity - it could be because 'your IP' has changed. Just go back to DHCP to see what it is and reset your settings.

I have cable with rogers@home in Toronto, same problem for the last year. Here they lease the IP for a month so you can't setup a static IP. I don't reboot I unplug modem disable network connection power on modem waite for solid light enable network.

Have you tried going to

http://www.dslreports.com/

And running there tweak tests it may be a packet problem!

SPEEDO

My guess is your connection is being interupted.

When i lose my connection from my cable company, my router sometimes picks up a 192.168.100.X IP address assigned by my cable modem for internal diagnostics (Motorola Surfboard 4100). When the connection comes back, I get old IP from the cable company back.

As asked before... do you get your old IP back when your connection does return to proper working order?

I have had the same issue. My cable connection got interrupted and I got the bogus number. When my connection came back up I got a regular number. Normally my connection is stable so I was a little surprised when it happened. If you are using Road Runner than the lease period is 24 hours, no reserved numbers. If I recylce my modem I'll often come up with a different IP addy.

is you have 98, goto Start, Run, type winipcfg.
    Take a look at the drop down menu for connection, as you might have multiple items.
    select your nic card, and see what the lease info is.
    Instead of rebooting to get a new IP, select release all and then renew all
    This usually helps, but not always.

Are you running ftp software to get the file?
    It might work better than IE to download the IOS.

If possible change the nic card.
    Otherwise it might be a bad modem from RR.

Good luck

I wish I had a bad modem from RR. All they can say is yes they are having problems, no they don't know why, and no they don't know when it will be fixed. Good news is I am being credited for 3 weeks even though there will be a day here and there where it will work without issues. I am beginning to not like Road Runner.

I've had RR for two-three years now.
    Cant even remeber what dial up was.
    I called and called, finally, they said its available.
    The day they came out to hook it up, the called me know if I was interested!
    Yes, they are stupid, but I havent had any problems yet!
    Good luck with yours.

PS, I have the old modem too