Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ugh! I'm so careless. Someone please help me repair this...

Ugh! I'm so careless. Someone please help me repair this...

(hey, that rhymed.)

Dipsh** me. I'm fooling around with an otherwise perfectly good 700mhz Slot-A Athlon. But after I removed the case I *luckily* discovered that a mishap occurred during the process. Seems I partially dislodged one of the micro-resistors. If it were completely dislodged I probably would've never noticed...until I tried to boot it...and then there would have NO WAY to find one of those micro-resistors in my house.

But thank goodness it's still attached at one end. And a thorough examination of the rest of the unit shows no other damaged or missing resistors. Here's the issue, let's have a look:

But that doesn't show ya much other than the general area of the pcb we're dealing with.
    Here's a zoom of the wounded little guy:

If that image makes it difficult to determine exactly what you're looking at...then here's
    a simple, quick sketch to hopefully make it more clear:

Ok. Now. What do I do? What's the best way to go about fixing this?...assuming it is fixable?

I don't want to risk breaking the little bugger off entirely. But it appears that maybe if I can just get that resistor down flat again then all I'd need to do is carefully heat the broken solder point to let it re-connect. Anybody out there with greater smarts than me (that's pretty much everybody!) have any words of wisdom, advice, warnings, condolences, or just good ol' jibber-jabber for me?

thx. uT

Well if your going with soldering I hope u got a steady hand and a REALLY fine tip on that soldering iron. Maybe u should touch the other side with a soldering iron to heat it up a little before bending it back, in case it's brittle and snaps the other side off......

Goodluck Out, just what did u hit the cpu with?

I was thinking a steady hand and a good low powered soldering iron

Out, I'm sure you don't have any micro solding equipment laying around, so what you need to do is get a heavy (thick) sewing needle and make a handle on it that you can hold on to it. Heat it up with a BIC or Zippo and you should be able to reconnect the contacts.

EDIT > can't spell

Ultimate Member
    Agree with Randy on that,, OR get the color bands off it and go to a local electronics supply house and buy a new one for probably $0.35 and if you feel too nervous,, ask him if he knows someone who could put it in.

Resistors are almost immune to heat, on most all electronics soldering you must use a heat sink to keep the item from being smoked, resistors withstand much heat..

Good luck

Hey Out, if that is is broken, I've got a 900 compliments of CodyBear sitting in a drawer, I could "pop" afew of them off for you if you need them, LMK!

Wait a minute. I assume that's a non-functional 900, right? Must be.

I haven't got up the nerve to do it yet but your advice sounds like it'll do the trick. Thanks Randy.
    Last edited by OuTpaTienT; 10-08-2001 at 06:39 AM.

Ya, it's a keychain I bought a cooler from him and never did throw it away.

Out,

Ive messed up a couple of those chipping playstations. They do withstand heat very well. With a steady hand you should be able to solder that piece down with no problem. I havent tried the needle and the zippo trick, but it doesnt hurt to try. Let us know how it goes.

Dave.
    That burning smells not my computer... IS IT??

Out,
    If you are confident enough to try and solder the beastie back in, you can use a standard (low wattage) soldering iron and wrap a piece of wire around the tip and extend it a little from the end, giving you a very fine point (copper wire would be best).
    As has been said, resistors are very heat tolerant, but the board is not, heat the resistor 'till the solder flows, then push it to the board and get the solder flow on to it as quickly as possible.
    When these components are originally installed they are often glued down prior to the soldering process, so you could do the same.

G
    Nothing moves faster than goalposts

Just a thought!
    I would be a little reluctant in trying to bend it back!

How about cutting a small length of solid wire and soldering it between the two connections!

SPEEDO

I agree with Speedo, whatever you do dont force the resistor back int place without melting the solder first, you will probably lift the land on the PCB, then you are really buggered.

G
    Nothing moves faster than goalposts

I greatly admired the way you try to post with so much featured details

A picture says a thousand words!!

SPEEDO

Bend it back, it doesn't matter if it breaks off, just put a small blob of solder on each end to secure it to its original position. If all else fails, find the value of the resistor, its probably a short, or a jumper resistor with a 0 Ohm value but you should still check. Replace it with another surface mount resistor or a 1/8 watt resistor if it fits.