Thread: Hows this sytem look?

Sherlok

Hows this sytem look?

I'm pretty much building a new comp. I have some parts here, but i'm ordering most of it off the net...how do these souns? anyone have any problems with them?

Amd 1.4ghz
    Abit KG7 motherboard
    ( http://www.partspc.com/product845.html )

2x 256 Crucial Ram
    ( www.crucial.com )

Maxtor 5400rpm 40.0 gb hd.
    ( www.pricewatch.com )

Mid 400w ATX case
    ( http://www.buyaib.com/zhatxmidw40p.html )

Gefore2 400MX 64mb (w/TV Out)
    ( http://store.yahoo.com/hoct12/housbranmx641.html )

That's everything i think, I'm using the stock fan that comes with my motherbaord, since I ordered it in a bundle. This all comes out to 500.98 without shipping.

some good parts you have there. crucial is supposed to be good ram(ive always bought generic w/out a problem, knock wood) so why not get add some more since its so cheap??? also you might want to get a 7200 rpm maxtor. i think you will notice a difference in speed in the long run.

SD
    you cant wear your emotions on your sleeve if you dont want them ripped off

Hometown:Owasso, OK, USA Reside:Misawa, Japan
    It's a good start, but I'd definitely spring a few extra $$ for a 7200 RPM ATA100 hard drive. There's not a huge difference between ATA 66 and 100, but going from 5400 to 7200 RPM is actually quite a step up in performance. Most of your 7200RPM drives out now are ATA 100, and your mobo supports it, so that's why I recommend it.

I might also consider going with a GeForce II GTS or Pro with 32mb for a few more bucks. These cards are better performers than the MX, and from what I've read, the amount of memory on them doesn't make much difference right now. Take comfort in the fact that if I'm wrong, someone will correct me on this one!!

Also, do your self a favor and check out those dealers you listed at www.resellerratings.com Check their overall score and also read the "User Comments". Might save you some hassle in the long run.

Best of luck.

~ Edit: I just checked out the case you listed. $27 seems mighty cheap for a case with a 400W PSU. First I'd check on AMD's website if that particular PSU is "AMD approved". Then I'd find out what the shipping is on it--they might really bone you there. And as I mentioned, check out Resellerratings!

The Crucial RAM, Abit mobo and Athlon 1.4ghz are all primo parts--just so you don't think I'm bashing your choices.
    Last edited by Thud; 10-07-2001 at 12:07 PM.

Any Idea where i can get a nice quality cheap 7200 RPM HD? Anything at or above 30 gig is fine.

newegg.com has some good deals. (shipping is a bit high but the drives are cheap.)
    If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, does that mean those with knowledge will be corrupted?