Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you access the internet via your cell phone?

Do you access the internet via your cell phone?

If so, does it work well for you?????
    (my main interest within this message)

Sprint offers wireless web: Aol instant messenger, short mail messaging, eMail from the phone to phone or PC, the Wireless web browser supposedly allows you to view text versions of your favorite webpages---its a 5$ add on w/no added charges...for some reason it seems to good to be true---buying a phone now, guess i'll find out :-)

ALSO---I'll have a 30 day satisfaction plan for 2500 mins national long distance + the wireless internet for 45$ total per month with a free 1 hour 7ยข a min long distance Sprint upgrade to my home service... looks good to me...

Hey used to be my neighbor TKOP!
    Well now that I live up here I have sprint, and I did access the web,, and looked at it and thought, sheesh this is conditioning for the next generation. And exited I decided to save my minutes for talking!

BUT! The Sprint entry level or bare bones phone offered the Qualcomm Kyocera has excellent reception much better than the Nokia 5160, 6160 or the little one the 820? None of those got a decent transmission in my apt, but the Qualcomm didn't have a dead spot, I would say 30% better honest. Plus the phone is lighter in weight. AND, doesnt take a special headset. 2.5 mm works.

My friend had the wireless aol messenger add on his cell phone. It was so hard to chat on those things. In the air force my dads boss had a pager that had a keyboard. They called them black berries. Now those things are cool.

I use my cell phone to receive email text messages..it's free, and my secretary can send all the info I need..like phone numbers, and I don't have to pull over and write it down..

there is eight of us at a large autobody shop on att phone's. Tow dispatch can email text message or any of our office staff can email text message when we are out or at the back of shop, we also have 2way radio's but this allows us not to broadcast over open channel. also keeps phone minutes down. delay in recieving message has been fine. this also has cut out pagers and helped our towing and glass companies out in areas of communication.

Got it after makin some decisions today---phone is a dual band PCS Samsung N200 a new model for Sprint---has the built in web browser, PIM, voice activated dialing, blah blah blah---teeny at 2/3 the size of a deck of cards (how will text based internet look on a 1ยผ" screen??? hmmm) they gave me 3000 nationwide LD mins + wireless internet for 40$, also the cheaper home LD plan---

Only thing IS---gotta charge the dang thing before I can play with it----arrrgh!!! ( till morning) Plus run thru the manual which is actually thicker then the phone...

No per min charge for using the internet---local access which is free as is local long distance within 150 miles...now if I knew someone who could sell me a headset---sheesh oh well, she up and split to Utah...
    Last edited by thekingofpain; 10-07-2001 at 01:06 AM.

We have WAP here in europe. But its not very popular due to to its 'unattractivity' and high costs.

I have that function on my phone and never used it.

I use the Sprint PCS wireless web on my Samsung -SCH3500. I mainly use it ti access Yahoo Mail. I could use the messenger option, but it does not always work correctly. I also use moviefone, mapquest, and a couple other information type functions. My dad uses it for stock stuff (Sprint PCS as well). Neither of us have complaints about the system.

Banti

Thanks Banti, havnt found anyone yet fully using whats available, your input helps---im still tryin to get thru the 10,000 functions of this thing---noticed Yahoo has a full mobile package that ill have to check into---cant believe they can put so many functions in so few buttons on a silly phone...
    Last edited by thekingofpain; 10-08-2001 at 07:29 PM.

I think wap died when the it-business went down. Many wap companies bankrupted. Think everyones waiting for the grps to hit mainstream.
    My phone also has wap capabilities (6210), but I mainly use it in conjunction with the laptop (43.2kbs).
    The wap is useless
    -M

Our Boss bought us new phones this week, Nokia 6210's.

Bluetooth, Wap, IR comms, Voice dial, etc.... Plays more tunes than a Philharmonic!

Haven't tried it yet. First impression YUK!

Had a Motorola Startak past 2 yrs, Magic! Easy to use, not light but very small, and it was Cool!
    Completely different to the usual stuff, people freaked out, when they used it.
    Back to the ordinary, I 'spose. Bugger.

Muno, You mentioned the same beast. What are your thoughts on it? ChrsR.

Btw I'll find out how good, this phones Data performance is... When the boss buys me, a new notebook. Hmmm...

Headsets??
    The best place to buy them is at the Computer Faire! It's where I got mine Much cheeper that I could get them at work!
    When you enter to the right at Buena Park go in the door and down the ramp you will run right into him, the guy is in the corner. 5 bucks for an ear bud!

Problem is most cell phones only surf at 9600bps.... some of the newer (out for the last year and a bit) can connect more channels... of these GPRMS phones, I think one of the better ones out is the Nokia 6210, max speed is 6 channels, 57.6kbps if I remember correctly.... but that's VERY dependant on the network... Orange have supported 38400 for the last two years.... Vodafone only JUST starting now!

Forget about WAP... useful for finding out train times, in an EMERGENCY that's about all.... I find SMS a LOT easier than the AOL or Yahoo messengers.... plus you can send PC to phone, phone to phone or phone to PC..... I usually use my phone in conjunction with the laptop or iPaq (which is a bit awkward), but getting a new card so that its easier to use with the iPaq soon Bascially its a PCMCIA card that takes your SIM card and then connects at whatever speed your local transmitters can support (very busy stations only allow 9600bps when they're saturated, but otherwose should handle 57.6 ).... should be fun.... surfing the net in full colour in the palm of your hand....

I have Sprint and the wireless web option with the nokia 6185. it works pretty good, can't surf from the phone's screen but does recieve text messaging. Connects to the laptop at 14.4 and connects reliably. I just bought a new laptop with Win ME and the sprint software won't install in ME. Can't find any new versions to download, guess I'll have to go to the sprint store for an updated version.... Anyway, 14.4 works cool for emailing and very basic surfing with my laptop in the car. Somewhere I think I read that the phone's capable up to either 28 or 56k but sprint's network is only built for 14.4....

I am in sales with Verizon Wireless and use the mobile web service occasionally. I also can send and recieve emails from my phone without being connected to the mobile web service.

In my opinion, this mobile internet service will not take off until better phones get on the market with larger screens, in color and with graphic display capability. Also a faster network is needed, which verizon will be rolling out soon that is called 3G.