Thread: Long-Term Recording (Security/Surveillance)

Ultimate Member

Long-Term Recording (Security/Surveillance)

If I have a security camera looking over a certain area, what is the best way to go for LONG TERM recording from that camera (Camera running 24x7) if you're on a tight budget?

Thanks...

Brandon, your best and only option would be a Timelapse Video recorder. I am in that line of work. I got a Gyrr timelapse recorder that will do just what you want. I will sell it to ya for $85 bucks shipped, providing you live here in US. Its record hours are from 2hrs to 720 hours (thats 3 weeks). It may even go to 960hr but i know it will do 720 for sure. Let me know if your interested or if you have any more questions about this subject.

Check this out: Time lapse video of a sort, $70.

http://www.gotchanow.com/text/try.html

It's a system that monitors a webcam or other video source, snaps an image if there is a change in the video. Camera runs 24/7, "recorder" only runs when someone or something moves on camera

I have a system installed that I use to look in my driveway after somebody decided they wanted one of my motorcycles, and punched the lock out of the garage door.
    I am using a Samsung SLV-960 time lapse recorder and a good color camera with auto iris in a heavy duty enclosure.
    I run mine on 168 hour time, it give a good picture so if I see something, I can capture the frame on my Win TV 2000 card and print it out.
    My setup cost me about 1500 dollars total, thats equipment, plus install with the video feed into the room of my choice in my house.

On 168 hr mode, it will record for 7 days, and it takes a picture about every 1 1/2 to 2 seconds.

Do some reasearch on the right equipment and get the best you can afford, I could have done mine quite a bit cheaper, but I have taken frames from my videotape and can plainly identify faces and LP numbers on cars in my driveway.
    Another thing is to try and mount the camera up high and in a spot not easily seen. I have mine under the eave of the house, and got lucky because the housing is almost the same color as the trim and unless you look right at it, you don't really notice it, which is what you want.
    I have pictures of a local brat coming up and kicking my garage door, and he never looked up at the camera, but I busted him later that day after coming home and seeing footprints on the door, reviewed the tape, printed the frame out while he was kicking the door and embarrased him

desmocat.
    No offense but you got totally ripped off. I dont care what kind of quality equipment you got or if it came with a lifetime warranty/service contract. BUT if you ever need any more equipment call me, I would love to make a quick killing of cash
    And as far as keeping it out of site thats a personal prefference.
    If you want to catch your baby sitter doing bad things hide it. Keeping the camera in site may prevent certain events. If that kid saw the camera do you think he would of kicked your garage door?

brandon184,
    Even if you dont want my VCR thats cool.. I use it as a loaner VCR so it not like I'm dying to sell it. I was just trying to help a sysopian out.
    Try to buy a GYRR VCR. Companies such as Diebold, Mosler, and all other use Gyrr, they just put their names on it.
    Burle is also good.
    Stay away from any panasonic, sayno, samsung. I have had lots trouble with all of those 3.
    Go buy a brand new on if you like but I would buy something used. My company sells a Gyrr for $3000 to banks, you could get the same model online for $400.
    If you just need a VCR you can get a good used one for less than $100 bucks if you shop right.