Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Why Linux Rocks Big Time

Hi NDC.!

I know everyone has an opinion but could you close the two threads realted to linux and starring this guy: ngc457!

Some users (like me) love linux.
    Others like (ngc457) love windows... SIMPLE.!

ngc457 -- If you don't like linux, please uninstall and don't bother people using it.!

About your PC-Mac discussion with NDC, it doesn't matter if you have a powerful PC.! Maybe I have a Celeron 300a and you have Dual pentiums pIII-1000ghz but if you have a trident videocard and I have a MAtrox.... yes your pc will be faster but not prettier!!!

Good day guys!

P.S.. To stay with the topic... YES LINUX ROCKS>!
    eagle1 signing off.....

Ultimate Member
    If I may add my 2 cents, Windows gets bashed in these forums on a daily/weekly basis, and it's not just by Windows users.

Everyone can have an opinion... and I for one am not going to censor negative comments about one particular OS just because it's not politically correct to criticize the underdog...

Discuss the topic on the merits of the Operating System, and keep the personal attacks out of it...
    Last edited by Fingers; 10-06-2001 at 12:30 PM.

Originally posted by ngc457
    So finally someone admits that Linux is a religion. BTW I can play any **** MP3 format I wish. Just because Microsoft include programs with thier OS doesn't mean you have to use them. You can use any **** thing you wish. In fact I have far more freedom then any Linux user (loser) because I have far more software choice and much of it is far better then anything Linux has. Have you ever heard of PhotoShop, Flash, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Illistrator, GoLive, Director, Freehand and many other high end top quality software that allows you to do something. Linux is nothing but a bunch of freeware ****.
    BTW I can get a bunch of freeware **** for w2k too. I even have more freeware **** to choise from then Linux. w2k has more freedom then Linux.
    Perhaps you can't read; this post is about the good things about linux, hence the name. The jist of your posts seem to be anti-linux. Perhaps you can clutter your own post with your irrelevant ramblings.

Also, this Linux user doesn't dual boot with windows. Why have that inferior "OS" taking up hd space on my system when I can do anything and everything I need to do with Linux?

It seems to me that whether or not you use Linux is a personal thing. If Linux works, use it. If windows does what you need, use it. All this *****ing about one better than the other seems irrelevant to me. One a personal note, I currently use winXP pro for my desktop, and at work I use win2k pro. I do agree that win9x is **** and does justify the negative press around it, but with the release of XP this month, I think people everywhere will have a hard time giving Microsoft flak about a bad product. As for server, I have two servers, one using win2k server, one using Caldera Linux. The win2k box is because I use other Microsoft products that don't run on anything else, and the Linux box is something to play with. i like the Linux OS, but unfortunately, I am unable to use it for everything. Bottom line, quit the bashing. Both products do perform well.

Perhaps WinXP does perform better than Win9x. If so, that's all very well. But do you have a winXP cd you can sell me for 30 bucks, and doesn't need activation or a product key? No? I didn't think so. Somehow I fail to see the need to spend 200 dollars just so I can give up my privacy.

Not to mention getting stuck with incompitent tech support. In my experience I can get better tech support for Linux right on this forum than I can get for Windows on Microsoft's home site. And that's without looking at how long it took me to get to where I could actually send an email for tech support on M$'s site.

Banned
    Straight from the GIMP web site "Many people do find GIMP very useful. But it is not a Photoshop killer (for real Photoshop users, that is), Photoshop has lots of features that the GIMP lacks. "
    *deleted*. Linux has no software.
    BTW I would like to see anyone design this site www.2advanced.com with Linux.

<edit> You WILL stop posting inflammatory remarks, or you'll have to find somewhere else to post - Fingers SysOpt Moderator

What is Proper Conduct?

All members are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful manner. Members should understand that opinions vary. Do not use the forums for posting disrespectful or inflammatory remarks about anyone else. Any post violating this policy will be subject to editing or removal. - SysOpt FAQ
    Last edited by Fingers; 10-06-2001 at 07:31 PM.

Middle Age Member
    Aside from all the positive virtues of Linux thus far mentioned -just the various shells give Linux a flexibility that I have yet to see in a non-*nix OS, and did anyone mention virtual terminials.

As for dual booting:

The machine that I use for work is Linux-only, Windows-free, on this machine I do simple notes for fleet users, parts research , and various other tasks. It also has a TV card and I can surf cable channels (only during breaktime) -quite comfortably.

At home I have quite a few boxes and they all dual boot various flavors of Windows and Linux, for the following reasons:

1. Tech support - helping friends and clients to reslove their Windows problems; it helps to have the OS in front of me as I walk them through step by step over the phone.

2. *Used to be* for photo quality inkjet printing - though there is still not a decent driver for a couple of my printers, thanks to the good folks at HP Linux now can handle near photo quality on my HP932C

3. Downloading photos from my Ricoh RD5300 digital camera: If I have only a few photos I will use the serial connection in Linux/gphoto, but if I have a full 128MB card then I use Win98/USB because the USB is considerably faster than serial. ?As yet, I have not found a way to access the photo's on my camera using USB in Linux - I've almost got it though.

4. Net-libraries/ebooks -these use a file format that specifically excludes Linux/UNIX (check their documentaiton) -whos' fault is that?

Finally, since I am not into the latest "Satan-felcher II" games, I find that I can actually live without Windows -but why should I have to, after all, Linux is just another OS -not a religion right? I am free to use whatever OS works best for me. My thought is if you don't like something then don't use it -and specifically, "Y'all have my permission not to use Linux."

I'm not-using Windows RIGHT NOW
    Last edited by CMonster; 10-06-2001 at 06:10 PM.

Well said,Cmonster.That about all I use Windows for.
    Some people come on like they want a fistfight over operating systems.Sheesh-give me a break.Those people are just showing thier youthful disregard for civility and common sense.They may have these qualities, but choose to ignore them.
    Use what OS you like-Windows,Mac or Linux-they all appeal to some people but will never appeal to all people.
    Linux is great but it is a challenge-though an easier one than most that life throws at us.
    ngc457,How about linking us to some of your work-I'd really like to see some of it.
    lynch
    seldom right,but never in doubt...

I'm not a web designer nor have a great html knowledge but those pages seem pretty standard to me.!

Anyway, keep up the good work and keep praising windows! I can't say Win is not useful because it is and so is linux.!

Bye bye!

eagle1 signing off ...
    eagle1 signing off.....

Not bad at all.I only know how to screw up web pages.
    Is that 1st link to your own page?I'm a bit of a planet watcher,myself.
    Anyway,pages load fast,not cluttered up.The kind of sites I like.Keep at this and you'll only get even better.That's what I hope to do with Linux.
    lynch
    seldom right,but never in doubt...

rjerina@citadel(~)% uptime
    11:40AM up 87 days, 4:22, 3 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.11, 0.09
    rjerina@citadel(~)%

can windows do that? hell no, i rest my case ;p
    -Rob Jerina
    System Specs:
    AMD Tbird 1.2ghz 200mhz FSB
    OCZ PC150 256mb SDRAM
    IBM DeskStar 60GXP 60gb 7200rpm
    Hercules ProphetII MX 32MB Dual-Display Video