Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Errr spiders

Errr spiders

So about 1 am this morning I came downstairs for a drink of milk.

I had the lights off so I went straight for the fridge.

Poured some milk and then stood by the stairway as I was drinking my milk. Well I look down and on the fourth step there was something black there. I squinted and thought maybe something fell out of my pocket. I started to reach when I realized that I was wearing boxers and I didn't have pockets! I turned on the light and there was this huge spider sitting on my step! He was about 5 or 6 inches! I jumped back in surprised.

Now I love spiders and insects. I don't kill them, but when they enter my house anything goes. I ran for a shoe and ended his life pretty fast. I could of stepped on the **** thing or it could have bitten my dog!

Seems about fall the spiders come running into the house looking for shelter and I do not want to be bitten by one of these! They are all over the place.

Anyone else having this problem?

JaYsin

We are pretty lucky here, only two indigenous snakes, only one is mildly poisonous, and no killer insects, unless you are allergic. Our spiders don't generally get to more than a couple of inches and then they're nearly all leg.

Everythings bigger in the 'States

G
    Nothing moves faster than goalposts

As far as spiders go here in the US , really the only ones you have to worry about are Black Widows, Brown Recluse, Hobo, and Yellow Sac spiders..the range varies and bites are fairly rare.

You mean a tarantuala type thing? If so then I prolly woulda jumped out the window (I'm being serious ). The biggest spiders we get in this house are about 4, maybe even 5 inches but they've got no meat on them (and practically no hair) and are mostly legs. The usual size is around 2 inches I think. Basically, when I see one, I go and get my hammer As an arachnaphobic, I'm looking forward to mid-November when I can relax knowing there won't be anymore till spring.

BTW, if it was a tarantuala, did it not make a big mess when you squashed it?

Ultimate Member
    Sounds like a Wolf Spider to me.... they can get to be fairly large.

And I know what you mean about this year. Not sure if it was the spring weather or what, but spiders have been much more abundant here this year as well.

Have heard about a home remedy that is supposed to drive them away, and plan to try it as soon as I can find some. Supposedly, if you place Hedge Apples (aka Ugly Fruit) in your home, the spiders will leave. Evidiently they don't like the smell or something. Anyway, you just place them in a corner(s) of rooms in your house, and let them sit there.

And Duster, I doubt it was a Tarantula. Does't fit that part of the country.....and they are not easy to squish either. Go ahead and try it sometime. Used to try to do it to my friends pet Tarantula all the time. Each time, it would run/jump just far enough out of the way as to not get squished. Was a great party trick.

Sounds like a Wolf Spider to me.... they can get to be fairly large.
    OMG!
    Each time, it would run/jump just far enough out of the way as to not get squished.
    OMG!

Curse this arachnaphobia of mine.

Go ahead and try it sometime.
    Yeah right

Well, I feel like an idiot..
    You see like many people, my wife hates spiders. They dont bother me. (just dont care to have a black widow around because of the kids.)
    We have quite a few Wolf spiders around, they are fairly large, aggressive looking spiders.Mmy wife hates them, scares the bejesus out of her. She had one in the laundry room the other day and she wanted me to get it out......So I go in and force it to crawl on my hand, to get it out, and show her that they are harmless. Seems I remember noticing something that LOOKED like fangs on them when I was a kid. Anyway, I took it out of the room and let it go out in the grass..
    I few minutes ago, I got curious about the wolf spider...here the idiot part in me.. I found out that, yes, they do bite , nice to know that AFTER I picked it up and let it to safety from the wifes shoes.

socalgal
    ARGH AcK Eww gasp

why did i open this thread ..

I'm wondering the same as Dudster: That must've left a HUGE pile of guts there!!! Nasty!

Warthog

I second Socalgal....I HATE spiders.

Ultimate Member

Ack!

I HATE spiders!

Luckily, the biggest spiders I see around here are under an inch in size.. If I saw a 5 or 6 inch spider, I'd probably have a brain aneurism...

In fact, I wouldn't go into my own bedroom for a two or three day period other than to get clothes just because there was a huge spider in there that would JUMP at me everytime I tried to kill it!

dude brandon when i went back upstairs i kept examining the stairs. and when i layed down back in my bed i kept thinking they were in my bed. I swear to god i felt something crawling on my leg and i leaped out of my bed!

JaYsin

This is funny! Hah!

I dont care for them crawling on me but I would have loved to caught in a put it in an aqarium or something.

My neighbor came over and got me the other day because a big spider was in his shower and the wife wouldn't get in. He wasn't going near it. I got the sucker with my hands and let it loose in the yard......

J
    Smile often! It makes people wonder what your up to.....

today i was thinking about that. if i had a little aquarim i would of been more than happy to put him in there.

JaYsin

You didn't tell us about the squish! Seriously, I want to know! Even for me, I hunt/kill whatever, I don't care, but cleaning up a 4-5in. long squashed spider is MESSY!

Warthog