Thread: SPD Memory Error and can't get into BIOS

beerprocessor

SPD Memory Error and can't get into BIOS

Here's the scoop:

A friend's little brother was messing around with his computer, and accidently set a BIOS password on his computer. He read somewhere on the net to pull the battery and leave it sit a while, then replace it and it should clear it out.

He has done this, and now when booting up, it says "WRONG MEMORY: SPD indicateds 66MHz Memory. This processor requires 100MHz memory. Shut system down." The problem is, that it is the factory installed memory, and is 100 MHz...and when attempting to enter the system setup, it freezes when the status bar is complete.

I'm out of ideas...any help would be appreciated!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA Home of the FREE!!
    If that's the actual case then I would try and change the ram out completely and see if there is a change. Also double check and see that there was no physical damage done. Maybe a jumper out of place. Some boards have a jumper setting to tell the system what type of memory it's using.
    I just got my brand new 8086XT! They threw in a 13" CGA monitor free!!

what kind of comp. is it? compaq? dell? clone? does the mobo support flash bios update?

I have tried swapping the RAM and still get the same message.

It is a Gateway, and I'm unaware of any jumper settings that would have been messed with. I'm also unsure if it supports flash bios updates...know where I could find this info?

Thanks!

contact gateway sales rep or who ever you got the pc from they should have the bios info ( if it supports flash bios? )or if you still have the paperwork on the pc it might have the info with it. if it doesn't support flash than there is not much u can do except swap the bios chip