Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: David McOwen is being officially indicted!!!

David McOwen is being officially indicted!!!

Thursday, October 04, 2001 9:37 AM

Very bad news everyone. My Lawyer just called and he said that the State has indicted me today. Arrangements are being made for my arrest at the Dekalb Jail as we speak. I can't write anymore, my hands are shaking so much.
    This is very disturbing. Please help this gentleman if you can. There are links to his legal defense fund, online petition, Georgia Governor's contact info, etc. on this forum:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=545926

If nothing else, the conviction of this innocent man would set a dangerous precedent for all of us enthusiasts.

Ultimate Member
    If nothing else, the conviction of this innocent man would set a dangerous precedent for all of us enthusiasts

let the courts decide that

Which part Cody?

The innocent part? I'm sure they will reach a verdict one way or another.

The dangeroud precedent part? I think that's already occured without the court's intervention.

This thread was not opened as a debate. Please either contribute, or post elsewhere.

So what is RC5 does it just use your pc as a supercomputer? This whole "computer crimes" thing is stupid. When you go online, you should expect to have some of your stuff hacked. It's an at your own risk situation. I can't belive this is actually happening.

Ultimate Member
    I think its people like you that jump to conclusions in this case and have no clue of the real facts except what has been posted on the world wide web......We are a nation of laws and like it or not thats where his innocence or guilt will be proven not here and not by you....I"m sure the state of Ga. has very good reason to pursue this and until you know the facts its not real smart to judge.....lets see what really happened now...in court

edited for spelling..**** 2 fingers anyhow
    Last edited by codybear; 10-04-2001 at 05:23 PM.

This thread was not opened as a debate. Please either contribute, or post elsewhere.
    We needs to remember that WE ALL ARE GUESTS and only Scott and the mods should direct us to post elsewhere.
    While I value YOUR opinion on the matter, I also value others opinions as well.
    ---edwelly
    If you never try anything new,
    you will miss out of some of life's many disappointments...

I thought debating a topic was considered contributing. I'm sure you obviously didn't expect this to be a gathering of distraught souls or something like that, Scorpio69. What do you consider to be a contribution anyway?

I have to agree with codybear in that there must be some valid reason that the man is being prosecuted. We've all heard a rather one-sided argument that Mr. McOwen is an innocent person who was simply using the company's unspent, and theoretically free, resources for a good cause. Well, there must be more to it than that, and in the coming months, I'm sure that evidence will be brought to light.

how did it cost the company 59 cents per SECOND?

i thought the program ran in the background anytime someone got online.

im confused

JaYsin

ummmmmmmmmmmmm who's "David McOwen"? I've put it together that he has something to do with RC5....

Warthog

Former volunteer
    Poor guy. Looking at his situation and envisioning the worst thing he could have possibly done based on the information given; there is no way this gross penalty put beofre him matches the 'crime'. Poor guy.

http://www.freemcowen.com/
    http://www.beachsidetech.com/mcowen1.htm
    http://www.petitiononline.com/movsog/
    http://www.tacube.com/pages/mcowen.html

"When you go online, you should expect to have some of your stuff hacked."

No. When you go online youshould expect that you will be left alone. This is like, you drive a nice car you should expect that it will be stolen.

"This thread was not opened as a debate. Please either contribute, or post elsewhere."

I am amazed at people who believe that they own a thread. You start a conversation, and it goes where people take it.

"No. When you go online youshould expect that you will be left alone. This is like, you drive a nice car you should expect that it will be stolen. "

I'm not saying it's right but leave a Porsche 911 in a dark alley and see if it'll be there the next morning. What I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if your stuff gets hacked. Feel free to take any precautions but don't be surprised when something happens.

Laws of the land do not apply well to the internet. The ones that do are extremely poor adaptations such as life in prison for hacking etc... It's not like he was using Napster which teachers do. He was using school bandwidth (yes without permission) for worthwhile causes such as finding a cure for cancer.

Okay, post what ever you want. Whatever. My intention for this thread was to share information and to encourage people to enlighten themselves, maybe do something useful with their time/resources, not to open a debate. However it's not my forum, I have no control over it. I just wish people would use PM's or email instead of ruining the entire tone of a thread.

The truth of his guilt or innocence I admit is not known by myself, or any of us. Yes, this will be played out in court and they will decide the fate of this man. I should not have called him an "innocent man". Surely he does not deserve the penalties that he is facing in any case.

I don't believe the notion that we should just "sit back" and let things work themselves out in court is constructive. Complacency is not what built America into the most powerful nation in history.
    I feel it is not only the right, but it is absolutely the RESPONSIBILITY of all American citizens to question laws if they are injust. I will not let this man be made an example of without being heard.

...but leave a Porsche 911 in a dark alley and see if it'll be there the next morning...
    You shouldn't drive into dark alleys when your in a Porsche 911.

-wise-*** comment...I know

Ultimate Member
    I have sent to to his legal battle and feel that the punshiment does not fit the crime if there be one but we all need to sit back and see just what it is that GA really has a problem with and what really happened.......I have also signed the petition but in the end it will be the court of law and not public opinion that prevails here.