Thread: Ever reloaded Win95 to recreate Registry

Hybrid View

Ever reloaded Win95 to recreate Registry

I'm wondering if anyone has reloaded Win95 to recreate the registry. I have a computer that has a "bad" registry, actually SYSTEM.DAT file. I was getting the VMM VXD Fatal Error. Upon researching MS KB their recommendations, were first, import/export registry which appeared to work but now all icon on desktop and shortcuts don't work.

The next solution was to swap with SYSTEM.DAO file but that appears to be "bad" also.

The third solution is to swap with SYSTEM.1st file but that would not include any new additions.

The final solution is to rename all registry files and reinstall Windows95. My concern with this is, will I lose any programs that are installed or will the registry be recreated completely?

I appreciate any feedback on this situation.

Ultimate Member
    Reinstall W95 "overtop" and the registry will be rewritten. There are several setup "switches" that effect what is done during reinstallation, but most often you won't need them. Some of your programs will then have to be reinstalled from installation files -- but not all.

Your Vmm vxd problem could be the result of software/hardware conflicts. In fact, your evidence suggests it is not a registry problem per say.

You don't need to rename any files to reinstall overtop -- just a boot floppy w/CDRom drivers & your CD.

if you reinstall win95, a trick to save you is to take your save files for your programs you deem important- save the files to floppy then you reinstall your programs and then import your files back into the save folders of your programs

Right On BFlurie!!!

Just as you said, I reinstalled Win95 overtop after booting from Win95 Boot Disk and, Voila!, everything was solved. Nice new Registry with no problems..

It's nice to have a place to come to when you have a problem. You Guys have helped me alot. Now I'm trying to follow your lead and help others with their problems.

Bless You All!!!