Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: brit chick going 'round the bend!

thanks Dutch dude i was getting a little bog eyed with an information overload not to mention feeling more than a bit foggy from an unpleasant hangover myself!
    the system is for editing. Really i coudl do with a list of componants that i will HAVE to buy and what you guys consider to be the best bang for my buck

Ujgh those hangovers

Well I could give you a list of components, but there is so many outthere. But let us start:

- The case. Be sure it's fitted with a 300W wer supply.

- The CPU. At the moment the best price/quality deal is a 1.4GHz Athlon (266Mhz FSB). For cooling you need a good heatsink with fan for it (SpookyEddy already mentioned that) More info
    here and here.

- The Motherboard (MoBo). Here is some good info about a good mobo. I would suggest you buy one that supports PC2100 DDRAM's (also mentioned as 266MHz FSB support). I personally like the ASUS, they have a good support, but you are free to decide which brand.

- The RAM. It's cheap these days so buy a 256MB PC2100 memory stick to begin with.

- VGA card. Any will do (be sure its a AGP card).
    You could go for a geforce card. Again allot outthere. Some are AGP pro cards, the mobo has to support the pro feature so watchout! AGP pro supported mobo's do support normal AGP too b.t.w.

Together with a harddrive, CDROM drive and diskette drive we gt a running PC!!

You mentioned editing. Do you mean video or graphics editing?

If you don't get dazzled by the techtalk you can see there was some good information about that already posted.
    I didn't ment to be hard on you guys, all help is welcome offcourse.

thanks ever so. right I'm off to do some more homework.
    the editing is video via firewire, that is why i have gone on the trail of building a computer, i bought a firewire card and found a i didn't have anywhere to put it. so I thought i would buy a new mother board but before i did i learned that it woudln't fit in the case i have and so it went on. So my film remains unedited, my desk top in pices, my head spinning and my wallet quacking

Starting point:

http://www.karbosguide.com

Nice link Goldwingnut.

Well Dashiel stop spinning your head, salvation is nearby. Editing movies usually gives a big strain on your PC. A fast CPU and enough memory and lots of free harddrive space is a must. I stick with the configuration, I mentioned before. You can always plug some more memory sticks later on. I believe for video editing 128MB is required. 256MB should be enough. 2 * 256MB (512MB) could be considered (memory is cheap these days).

I am curious if you selected some parts already, especially the mobo.

Had nothing to do at work, so did some little search.
    Here is a good link abut building a video editing PC:
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/0...apture-01.html

Thanks for the links guys, what does over clocking mean?

Overclocking is running the CPU faster than it's nominal speed. Running a 366 at 550.

Tends to make the CPU run hot, so you have to cool the CPU, maybe the chipset too.

I had a quick look at that last link of DutchMaster's and it says overclocking an editing machine is a bad idea (not counting the fact that an overclocked machine could be an unstable one).

I read that on the web site which is why i wanted to know what it was , i case it was something I might inadvertently do.

No problem there. Overclocking is not needed, default settings are good enough. I can't even overclock mine, the CPU is locked on running 10.5 * 133Mhz = 1.4Ghz
    So no need to worry there Dashiel

Which video editing card do you have by the way?
    Last edited by DutchMaster; 10-09-2001 at 10:33 PM.

I think the chances of accidently overclocking your CPU are extremely small. Most CPUs are multiplier locked (the CPUs speed (i.e. 1400MHz/1.4GHz) is achieved with a multiplier of the bus speed e.g. 10.5x133 or 14x100) so the only way to overclock it would be via the FSB (front side bus/the CPU and motherboard bus speed). So if you don't change the bus speed from the default (which you can only really do in the BIOS), you won't be overclocking it

What?

Was a bit faster on those locked stuff. But I like your explaination about it.