Thread: help me with mandrake please

help me with mandrake please

okee
    when i boot up mandrake, doesnt matter whether in gnome or kde, i get huge font for dial up and other various programs, what teh deal i mean huge font! like the whol size of teh screen size font. anyways besides that problem mandrake hasnt been to good an experience for a windows me - switch to linux user. i cant get dvd to play at all, when i try installing apps such as xine and some other through kpackage all i get it kernal failure, alot of other programs dont work, some games cant even be seen, penguin kart or whatever is all white screen. any1 have suggestions to improve, if i download kernal 2.4.x(i have 2.2.x) will dvd and other probs be fixed? if so how would i go about downloadin the new kernal?

Good luck with DVD, as it is illegal so the bigwigs in Hollywood can suck up more bucks with licensing fees.

As for downloading the newest kernel, umm you dont sound like you're very confident with Linux as of yet, do you really want to make a change like that?

I'm sorry I can't help with your problems, but figured at least get ya some info and give ya a free (yes that's right FREE) ^^bump^^

wel thanks for the bump, what kinda change we talkin bout for the kernal, if anyhtin wouldnt it make it better?
    jak

Hi Jak,
    DVD was just even finalized when kernel 2.2.0 came out and while it can be incorperated into the older kernels it takes a bit of work (specifically you need mttr support in you kernel). Upgrading the kernel for ditribution which was not designed to have its kernel undergo a major revision upgrade is also not a trivial matter. Please grab a newer version altogether, like mandrake 8.x or redhat 7.1.
    Paul

Doesn't Redhat promise support--for whatever it worth.

Hmmm..... Wasn't Mandrake a magician who learned the art of mass hypnosis in the Orient and had a trusty assistant named Lothar?

If you get the box set then you get install support, personally i think for indivual use community support is the best.

You dont mention which version of Mandrake, you have..... I'm guessing 7.X. The latest is 8.1, which has full USB support, DVD support, better h/w support than ever before. Do yourself a favor, and grab a copy of this. This is the absolute best version of Linux I have ever seen.
    Given enough time & money,
    Microsoft will re-invent Unix.