Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why Linux Sucks Big Time

Most web servers are Unix. Windows web servers don't have the programs that most people want.
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.

Hey, Rob or anyone who is familiar with MIPS R12000ATM processors. Just how fast is the MIPS R12000ATM 400MHz processors that comes on the SGI workstations vs. let's say an Intel Pentium 3 450Mhz or MAC G3 400Mhz with the same system specs? Of course the OS has a lot to do with the processor performance so let's keep that in mind. I'm not asking which has the most RAW power... I'm simply asking the peformance difference between the 3 systems running graphic applications...
    Last edited by NDC; 10-04-2001 at 10:32 PM.

I recommend examing the SPEC CPU2000 benchmark numbers for the R12k, available here:

http://www.spec.org/osg/cpu2000/results/cpu2000.html

Quick results from above:

SGI Origin 3200 400MHz R12k
    INT base/peak: 328/353
    FPU base/peak: 382/407

Intel SE440BX-2 650 MHz Pentium III
    INT base/peak: 295/299
    FPU base/peal: 204/215

Considering many advanced graphics operations are generally FPU intensive, it could be assumed that an application properly optimixed for each platform would lead to a significant advantage for the R12k. This is impressive, considering the P3 listed here is 150 MHz faster. However, the artchitectural differences in regards to memory bandwidth, latnecy, branch prediction, and thousands of other aspects can directly affect performance potential. Graphics work is also disk intensive when utilizing large files, though Spec CPU2000 is not designed for disk i/o operations, only processor, cache, and memory. Still, a good SCSI Raid steup should clearly work fine for nearly any graphics operation.

Want the best currently available within the retail channels? Check this out from IBM's latest testing:

IBM Power4 1.3 GHz p690 Turbo
    INT base/peak: 783/808
    FPU base/peak: 1098/1169

That is over 150% faster in floating-point apps than Intel's P2 2 GHz and over 250% (fpu) than AMD's Athlon MP 1.2 GHz.

Catch ya' later,
    Robert Richmond

Errr... Sucks what??

Thanks for the reply, Rob.

....he left.

In 1984 I bought my first PC running 2.x MS-DOS. By 1986 I owned a couple of hundred dollars worth of books on the OS. Truthfully, it sucked compared to Apple or Commodore for that matter! I stuck with it though and from those beginnings came Win2K and XP. I've always felt the GUI was designed for the novice to use computers. This past year I installed Linux and I feel sure that in two years I'll own a couple of hundred dollars worth of documentation for it, but hey that's the price you pay for knowledge! This started out as a hobby for me, and though I now use these things for work, I still consider it as one. Linux is in my home now because I want to learn! I wouldn' t waste the hard drive space otherwise.

yeah kind of funny comes in here ranting about how bad it sucks. but when someone gives him an answer he runs away.

some people have to much time on there hands

JaYsin

jak and ngc

You have permission to bash linux all you want, We have permission to defend linux all we want. It is as simple as that. Everyone has permission to bash MS products as well. Everyone also has permission to defend MS products.

The fact that we choose to defend linux and not MS is our choice. If that is a problem to you, then that is all it is... your problem.

Also I have used the word permission here because using the word right would have sounded correct, but is in fact incorrect. These boards are privately owned. We have been given permission to do a great many things, but we do not have all that many rights.

Banti

Hahahaha.. this thread has been sooooo funny!!!

PLease, someone close it, the original poster went away!

Oh.. btw I use linux, Windows, Irix, and Solaris!
    eagle1 signing off.....

Hmmmmmmmm, all the linux installs I have done, even as a relative newbie, have been extremely stable.

Why configure something badly and then complain about how unstable it is? Just because you don't know what you're doing doesn't make it a bad OS. Also, I don't agree with the fact that you put it on your PC just to scare people away from it. Let them try it out for themselves. Heck maybe they can give you some configuration tips after they have checked it out.

This kind of garbage gets me steamed in a big old hurry. My apologies if I have offended anyone, except for the troll.
    Last edited by prttybean; 10-05-2001 at 06:04 PM.

Hehe this thread was all my fault, I have been very bad . Just trying to stop one of my threads being filled with flaming/trolling.

Good to know everyone has an opinion

Hope everyone got something off their chest.

All the best.

Eddy

Banned
    I never went away. I have to do things like sleep and work. Tomorrow I will be watching the Vols beat the living **** out of Georgia.
    Go Vols and say no to Linux

PS what Linux program replaces ImageReady.

Hi ngc457,

Why the linux hate, just out of interest do you hate other *nix based OS's such as BSD or Solaris?

I like Win2k (as I work as a Win2k admin), and it is a great step in the correct direction IMHO.

Surely having an open mind means you can get the best of both worlds.

Regards.

Eddy

ngc457 - I am wondering the same thing as Eddy.

Please tell us.