Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why Linux Sucks Big Time

Banned

Why Linux Sucks Big Time

I have my system dual booted with win2k and Mandrake. I use win2k over mandrake 10 to 1. Main reason is I am a graphics, web page designer and photographer. Linux doesn't have anything close to PhotoShop, Freehand, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver, Golive, Imageready, Fireworks, Pagemaker, Premiere and many many many many many many other productive software. Have any of you ever heard of high end productive software. You should give them a try sometime. Don't tell me GIMP is the same as PhotoShop. As a designer I have used them both and GIMP can't even compete with PhotoShop version 1. Since my system is dual booted the exact same hardware is used. Linux boots slower and programs load much much slower. The general response of Linux GUI KDE or Gnome is much slower then w2k. Even though I use Linux much less it has crashed and froze far more then w2k by a factor of 5 to 1. My favorite Linux program is X kill. Using Linux is like stepping back in time 10 years with its worthless freeware that does nothing. Only reason why people use Linux is because it is a religion. No a cult fed by false myths. Here is a Linux prayer that the cult prays. Oh mighty Linux. You are the savior and deliverer from the evils of Microsoft. We suffer though incompatibilities and poor software that can’t do a **** thing just to escape the overblown myths of Microsoft’s evils. Please O Linux God keep us in the closet. Let no one know that our systems are duel booted with Windows (not Windoze morons). We have to duel boot so we can do something. Please forgive us O Linux god for this but we need windows so we can be productive. We still worship Linux though. I pledge O Linux god that I will spread false lies and rumors about how great Linux is. I will lie that Linux never crashes. It is just as good and easy desktop to use and that even grandma can use it. I will spread the false rumors that office star is just as good as MS Office and the GIMP blows away PhotoShop. I pledge my life to you O Linux god, amen.

First of all, if you want people to bother to read what you right, try introducing paragraphs into your written skills.

Secondly, I think there are some people here who are expreienced enough with Linux to maybe help you out and give you advice on how to make your system faster.

Hey jump on the band wagon joe, no one is making you use it. So, don't.

That's funny. See, it works just fine for me. Bootup is much faster (vs. 98SE), mostly because I can turn off things (like automatic hardware detection) that I don't want, or that aren't completely necessary and take a lot of time to start. Have you ever even TRIED to do that? Didn't think so.

But as bobcat said, feel free not to use it if you don't want.
    "Windows for Dummies" isn't just a book, it's a Microsoft way of life!

bobcat,

I think he needs to jump *off* the wagon.

First off, Linux does not suit your needs, fine. That does not mean that everyone that is using Linux is mistaken. Linux does many things better than Microsoft products. If you do not use Linux in these ways, that is your choice. Others choose to use Linux in this manner and have a faster more stable system.

Your linux box crashes and is really slow. Your linux install must need some tuning. No said that it installs perfectly... neither does Microsoft for that manner. So fix it or dump it.

If you are so unhappy with Linux why dual boot? Wipe out your second partition and go on with your life.

Banti

P.S. If you are doing graphics shouldn't you use a Mac or SGI? I mean, shouldn't you use a system that is optimized for graphic work?

Banned
    First off I have Linux on my computer for one reason. So I can tell others not to use it. No one likes someone to make anti Linux post that has never used it. I even let people come over to see what Linux is like. They never make the switch. Also I could care less about making my Linux install faster or more stable. My big beef with Linux is the lack of high end software that can compete with the software mentioned above.
    Why don't I use a Mac for design work? Several resaons.
    #1 I can't build my own system. I have to buy from Apple. Limited choice.
    #2 The software mentioned above is the same for PC as for Mac.
    #3 A high end PC is much cheaper. Half the price in fact.
    #4 High end PC with P4 or Athlon with lots of ram and good graphics card is faster and better for graphics design then a Mac.

Hmm. Personally, I don't like Macs. I also don't like asparagus, prune juice, dentists, cigarette smoke, rap music, neo-nazis, traffic tickets, or romance novels.

I have found the perfect way to keep the above mentioned things from clouding up my sunny days...I avoid them! Novel idea, eh? You should try applying that idea to Linux, ngc457.

I still think the OS war is rediculous. Its all just a matter of personal preference. You hear that Windows crashes, and is insecure... you hear that Linux is cryptic and hard to use... you hear that even idiots can use a Mac, and thats why they do.... But who cares? No OS is perfect. In my apartment, we have.. On my computer: win2k/98, on my server: Linux, on my roommate's computer: Mac OS 10, and FreeBSD. They each have their moments of glory, and their moments of horrendous failure.

-Jim

So you have it installed to show others how bad it is. How about your friends come over our houses. We'll show them "THAT YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING" j/k

Seriously, what is the deal with having to show people that it does not fit your needs, thus it sucks. Enlighten me, I'm stupid.

Not liking something is one thing. Mocking others is another.

So what about an SGI machine? You did not cover that.

If you machine runs slow but it should not, and you do not even try to look into the problem, then do NOT ***** about it. If your linux machine is slow, and you do not want to fix it, then let it go. When my windows runs slow and it should not I fix.. the same goes for any OS on my machine.

Also if the graphics programs for linux are not of good enough quality, why not start a project to write your own, or find a project that is doing what you want.

Besides its free... at least you did not waste any money.

Banti

Linux does take longer to load on my other system (233mhz K6) but thats only due to 32mb RAM. Mandrake asks for 64mb. I think if I just disabled somethings and added some more RAM I'd be using Linux 24/7. Take your pick. Personally, I lean towards Linux.
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.

Just a side note.

I wasn't aware it was an OS's fault for not having applications. Perhaps people have grown too use to the idea of MS putting out a bunch of apps to fit along side their OS, but not too many other people do that.

Perhaps it's just me, but I always thought it was the manuf. who decided which/when/what software would be written for a certain OS and a certain piece of hardware.

Does that mean I should blame Linux (Or *BSD, SCO, Irix, etc) for not having a release of Internet Explorer 6 + Outlook Express? Oh, right...That's MS's choice.. Silly me.

Hey, if you want to 'duel boot' your machine then I can say 'Windoze', moron!

I installed Linux-Mandrake 7.2 on a machine the other day for the first time, using KDE. It was the first time I have ever SEEN Linux. My first impression, I liked it. Mainly due to the fact that I am tired of seeing the same old **** microsoft has put out but sold it under a new name...Why cant microsoft just get rid of the bugs in existing OS' and keep updating them??? 'nuf of that..
    Anyway I like Linux and as soon as I get another PC built it will have Linux installed on it, Its nice to have something fresh..

BTW, umm...answer this....just because you may think that a mustang is the greatest sports cars that were ever made, there are many people that hate them....All boils down to a matter of preference..

gwinters

What?

Banti