Thread: reducing CPU temps

Ultimate Member

reducing CPU temps

i havea 1ghz tbird running at 1.45, and although i get fairly resonable temps (no higher than 52C) i want to try and keep the temp as low as possible. i use CPU Idle too (although there is little visible effect), however i wondered if there were any software tweaks/bios tweaks etc i could use (KT7A mobo)

Cheers Guys

Try using a program called VCool:

http://www.naggelgames.de/vcool/VCool.html

I wouldn't know if it'll work for you or not. I used it for a little while and it did a pretty good job, but it would frequently lock up my system. It all depends on that.

Been using VCool for a couple of days and it seems to reduce the temp. by a couple of degrees when system is not at full pelt.
    Why Are Woman Like Windows, You Spend Most Of Your Money On Them And Get Nothing But Trouble In Return !!

HLT command functions has been disabled with all the newer Athlon boards (like yours) and if you have an older board, the updated BIOS will automatically disable it. You will not be able to re-enable it with any of these cooling softwares unless you readjust the CPU registry with Wcredit. This goes for users running WinNT/Win2k as well. The CPU idling feature built into these OS's no longer has any effect either.

This was done intentionally to maintain stability with some of the faster running T-birds/Durons. It was discovered that some motherboards couldn't handle the sharps spikes in voltage levels with CPU idling was enabled. Not a big issue so long as you've got a good heatsink/fan. I wouldn't worry about it.

this worked for me but can't guarantee that it'll work for.

case tower: psu on a seperate bay from the mobo
    2- 120mm 3200rpm fans (exhaust and intake)
    copper based hsf with 7200rpm fan
    arctic silver II

============

results:

33c idle
    37c max load
    32c ambient temp

If you're willing to cut holes in the top of your tower, you could probably drop your temp by 6 degrees at the least. I have a POS InWin ATX-501 midtower (the one with the PSU a half inch over the CPU/HSF), and I mounted a 80mm Delta high output fan (63.2 CFM max). It dropped my 800 MHz T-bird (OCed @912 MHz) from 56 C to 45 C. The only drawback is that the fan is LOUD!

If you're intrested, www.plycon.com sells some good fans, as does www.pcmods.com. You'll also need a holesaw, which can be bought at any hardware store and is used on a hand drill. Plus, you'll probably want to get some radioshack parts (20 GA wire, on/off rocker switch, 12V LED, ect). I spent about $45 to mod my case out, and with the addition of a chrome fan grille, it not only works good, but it looks stylish