Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: IBM RANT!

I've had more Maxtors die on me than you can shake a stick at... mostly a few years ago though... so I went back to using WD... after I had a WD Caviar 2340 (340meg) that got thrashed from about '93 to '96 and then got put out to "pasture" as my Aunt's win95 internet PC and as far as I'm aware is still going great... had four WD Caviar... one (21600) died within a year and another one (32500) died JUST after warranty ran out... and a the same time I saw countless WD22100 drives die at work, while all the WD Enterprise drives and Quantum Fireballs were fine... When it came ot my next upgrade I was going to get an Quantum, but a friend recommended a IBM Deskstar 8.4 gig, which was absolutely fantastic, from there I've had another 8.4gig Deskstar, 14.4gig Titan GXP, 15.2gig Titan2 GP, 76.8gig 75GXP and two 40gig 60GXP's... I had the 14gig drive which I got from a dubious market stall, die after a few days - refunded and bought a proper one from a shop... since then, the only complaint I've had is that the 7200rpm drives (pre 60GXP) ran a bit too hot for my liking... these 60GXP's are great, quiet, cool and run like the proverbial "$4!t off a shovel"... but then I HAVE only had then for about four or five months :o am I next?

I have to admit I had a Maxtor 30 gig drive that crapped out after a few months, BUT I ran their testing software, called them up, gave them a credit card number to advance ship the drive and my new drive was at the house in a few days. Not only did they replace it fast, they replaced the 30 gig with a 60 gig. , talk about great customer service..

Products vs. Policies

I am amazed that more companies don't realize that their policies drive more business away than their products. I've enjoyed using IBM laptops, not because they were the best around but because they had outstanding service policies. Apparently, the hard drive section and the laptop section don't talk to each other.

I currently own a 40GB 7200RPM ATA/100 IBM driver(I include that info cause I don't remember it's name). I haven't had any probs with it so far. It's silent, insanely fast, and was pretty cheap! I like it better then any drive I've owend or used in other PC's. I have heard of allot of people having probs with these drives though. I'm really sorry Socalgal. Hope it all works out ok.

They can kiss my white Italian ****.
    Just when you thought Socalgal could not be more alluring, she goes and lets this cat out of the bag... Dang if only she lived on this coast

I just sent in a WD drive, bad sectors coming out the wazoo. They had no problem with RMAs but paying for shipping did put a frown on my face.

Socalgal
    I was looking into getting a few new drives for a raid setup. I was looking at IBM, but thanks to your heads up on their RMA process I think I will look elsewhere for my drive needs.

Banti

KMA
    IBM GXP drives have been dying for a long time now. It is sad that reviewers do not note how many fail and IBM's BS RMA policy.

I will stick with my Maxtor drives.

Another recommendation for Maxtor. I had 3 IBM Deskstar 30gb drives go out on me in a 8 month period. Switched to Maxtor have not had a prob yet but only been 4 months. Although I have some other Maxtors in other computers at least two 13.6 gb drives that i have had for over 2 years. So I would say stay with WD or my favorite Maxtors.

NITRO
    Last edited by E-Z-Eroc; 10-04-2001 at 04:21 PM.

Maxtor all the way!

I love my IBM Deskstar 45 GB. Fast, reliable, quiet. Haven't had a problem since I got it, about 8 months ago. My next HDD will be an IBM for sure.

socalgal
    I loved mine too... till it died 9 months after purchase. Because of their RMA policy, I will not purchase another IBM.

I am posting this for socal to see!

It has always been Maxtor for me!

At least for the last four years,

SPEEDO

socalgal

Sorry to her about your loss I've got Two 45GB or as the systems sees it 46.2 7200 2mb and well lets just say no problem as of yet it been about a year and I'm using my in a VP6 RAID 1 it's my server but enough about HD there like AS#Holes everyone got one and they all stink, I've had problems with all with the exception of IBM so well I’ve got to side with them as of now, but if I had the same problems I could see you point.