Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: IBM RANT!

socalgal

IBM RANT!

I've had it with IBM hdds! They can kiss my white Italian ****.

Just had my 2nd hdd failure this year, this one on a 45G 75GXP drive that I purchased new in Feb. 01. After running the DFT and reporting bad sectors, I called IBM RMA Customer Service and was told that NO ADVANCE RMA's are being processed.

So, I have to ship their )(*#$)# hdd back first, and wait for them to (presumably) test the drive and send back a replacement.

This is not acceptable! I told them I've purchased my LAST IBM and will not even consider buynig another IBM hdd. Western Digital and Maxtor to advance / cross RMAs that they ship out the next day.

IBM, if you're reading this: You're in my history book as a lesson to never buy your product again!

</RANT>

Mntsnow
    Sorry to hear that Socal

I love my Maxtors...They have been very reliable for me and my clients.....When I have need RMA they are quick with the Advanced RMA exchange usually by Airborne or FedEx next day air with them prepaying the RMA shipment back to them too!

socalgal
    Well, even WD doesn't prepay return shipping. Looks like Maxtor is the ticket.

I have only one Maxtor drive that doesn't get used as much, but my next hdd will be a Maxtor!

I'm fuming mad, bud.

Mntsnow
    Yep...Just had the one that I replaced on my BP6 that was 2.5 years old and was probably partly my fault for killing it (Oops)

The box arrived Next day air....took new drive out...placed Damaged one in the shipping box. closed box and attached the enclosed shipping label and called them to come pick it up on their rounds....Or you can take it to one of their authorized drop locations to send it back if your gone during the day

socalgal
    And that's the way it should be! Meanwhile my work is disrupted while I run my good backup on this PIII as a slave to access my needed apps and data.

NEVER will I buy IBM again. Their RMA service can go to hell.

I agree with you. I know a lot of people just love the IBM hard drives but the one's that I have owned always went bad long before any others.
    Reality is controlled by those who are the most insane.

Ultimate Member
    I've heard several stories of the 75 series drives in the 40+gb having problems,, not only IBM either..

Fujitusu offers advance replacement ,, just FYI

gluck
    Doc

Yeah my IBM 40gb 5400rpm drive failed earlier this year. I've gotten a replacement. My old drive used to make weird clicking and whining sounds. I'm pleased with its performance but they need to make them more reliable.

Another one bites the dust. I purchased a maxtor 2 yrs ago and have had no problem(knock on wood). Heard of many IBM drives gone South.Sorry about your's maybe next time a Maxtor.

They can kiss my white Italian ****.

wohooo italian girls rule!

Haha

Anyway don't mind me. But sorry to hear about your misfortune with your 40 gig. I have two 40 gig WD right now and they work great so far. got them at the Pro market show.

I had a 10 gig wd die off while back and WD had no problems RMA. (I held the phone to the drive when it started clicking and ask dumbly “is that’s normal?” ) But hey he put a rush on my new drive!

Like Richard I have also heard the horror stories about IBM 40 + gigs dieing. Add another thing that ticks Socalgal off beside trolls! Maybe you should make an aviator that has an IBM with a red cross thru it!

Hope it works out for you!

JaYsin

Last week (Mon) I sent back an IBM Deskstar 20g that I also bought in Feb---shipped via post office for 6$, it was received by IBM somehow the next day? and Friday a new one was on its way, arrived Tuesday...

At the same time I sent one to Western Digital, for some reason it didnt arrive till Thurs---(they are REAL close to the IBM destination?) its still pending, so I guess I wait alittle longer on that one---

I also have a friend that had 2 IBM 60's croak in the past month, the original AND the replacement, he purchased some Seagates and is hoping for better luck...

Had good luck with Maxtor, heard they licensed the design from IBM and were virtually a copy, not sure about that tho could be outdated info...
    Last edited by thekingofpain; 10-03-2001 at 03:31 PM.

I had one of those 75GXP's (76.8gig) but it ran so damned hot that I knew it'd be trouble... ditched it for a pair of 60GXP's when have (touch wood) been fine thus far!!

A friend's 20-odd gig 75GXP drive failed about a month ago (along with EVERY other component in his entire system) - took them <1week turn-around to the US and back to get a 40gig 60GXP back - he was pretty pleased - he got a bigger, quieter, cooler, more reliable drive

See there are some happy stories about IBM drives.... but I'll still advise people to stay as far away from 75GXP as they can, unless they're keen on keeping their computer room / study / bedroom especially warm and generating a lot of "white" noise to disrupt all those FBI phone taps personally I'm not that paranoid or in need of the heat, so I stick to 60GXP's....

It really irks me off when companies will not do advance RMAs. I've had luck with Western Digital and Seagate. In the past, Maxtor was reluctant to cooperate, but I haven't had to RMA anything to them recently. Compaq has alway been fantastic considering RMA's, usually ships overnight too. That's mostly for enterprise support. For consumer support, with Presarios, it's like pulling teeth to get them to advance RMA, all depends on the day.

Companies that do not do advance RMA's are hurting their relationships with customers. Not only does it show a certain level of trust between the two parties, but it also gets the customer's issue resolved more quickly and as an added bonus, it gives the customer a package to ship the product back in. Even Handspring does it with their PDA's, except they ask for a credit card number in case you don't keep up your end of the deal, which I believe is a fair compromise.

Mntsnow
    Hmmm Mr. Goodbytes.

Every Advanced RMA I've ever done has required a CC# which was never a problem to me. Personally I would never ship a peice of hardware to someone without getting a CC# if it were me.

socalgal
    Well, my anger has subsided somewhat. Mr. Goodbytes, you are so correct regarding refusal to do Advance RMAs hurts customer relationships - IBM just killed mine. I've always had to provide a CC# on others' Advance but that's ok with me.

Luckily I have some hdd-cutout foam padding and the previous IBM RMA replacement box still here, so it's gone via UPS back to IBM. Personally, I hope UPS drop-kicks that box all the way back. They're definitely getting a dead drive back, anyway.

And if they don't want to honor my valid warranty for any reason, that's fine, too. I'm through with them, period.

Jaysin, not only do Italian girls rule, we also kick **** when provoked lol

Thanks for the replies, everyone Its helps to hear your stories too, good or bad.