Thread: Probs with Floppy Drive need help..

Probs with Floppy Drive need help..

I have recently had alot of problems with my Floppy drive... I'm just tryin to figure out if it's my FD or the FDD Controller on my Abit KT7A...

I have replaced my FD with brand new Mitsumi FD same model as the one I replaced and still it get the error "Disk not formatted"

I also replaced it again with an older used HP FD and it works ok but everytime I create Windows 2K Pro boot disks there's always a file on one of the disks that ends up corrupt thus I have yet to install Win 2K Pro Server...

I just need some advice.. is there a setting on the Motherboard that I'm missing or could of accidentally set... or are Mitsumi FD's ****... or should I go ut and get some new disks (thinking that the batch I have could be bad due to storing them next to some 12 inch car subwoofers... I know I know...)

If you haven't tried using different floppys then I would give that a try. Also do a search on these boards for floppy disk errors (or floppy disks fail (40) ). You might be able to get some good information out of those.
    This will all be over before you can say Cat in a Hat.

and the cable?

Have you tried formatting these old disks of yours first?

SPEEDO

I've formatted many a disks replaced the cable twice and it seems to only do this with Mitsumi FD.. I hook up that old HP and it works...

someone mentioned to me about Mode 3 support... any idea if I should use this?? Would it cause the Mitsumi drives to give back errors when tryin to read my disks?
    Ritalin Kid

^bump^ ^Bump^

anyone have any idea if mode 3 support would have anything to do with my problems?
    Ritalin Kid

Turning off mode 3 should definately work (downward compatibility).....

Also, make sure the connector pins haven't bent. Sometimes a connector can seem like it's firmly connected but two pins on the end could stick out the side or lodge into the end of the connector (the part where the plastic clip fastener joins the connector peices).