Thread: Easy modem speed increase..mtu?

Easy modem speed increase..mtu?

Im looking for an easy way to increase my modem speed. I have been told that I can alter the setting of the MAXMTU setting in the registry (Win98) and this may help. Has anyone done this or can anyone offer any advice?

Are you talking about broadband modems. You wont see much improvement in an analog modem (may even hurt it), but if you have cable or dsl, go to speedguide.net and get the broadband patches.

Like kwebb says, it might hurt your performance to make the adjustment to the MTU.
    What happens is that the upstream routers/networks,etc that have have a MTU value less than what you have will have to fragment the packets to fit their MTU size and this will affect performance.
    Sometimes doing a ping with a specific MTU size will show where a bottleneck might be upstream by timing out at an interface which has a smaller MTU value than what you have set, as long as you set the don't fragment bit. in your ping message.
    Clear as mud?

using 56k modular tech external modem.....still confused.

still confused
    I know your pain...
    --edwelly
    If you never try anything new,
    you will miss out of some of life's many disappointments...

Don't worry about changing things around really. Windows networking comes optimized for dialup internet connections. It's when you make the switch to broadband that you have to make some changes in your registry so windows can make full use of the speed.