Thread: internet explorer problem

internet explorer problem

hey guys

i've been having some troubles with ms ie lately and i'm not really sure why! all of a sudden it won't display images properly. i have since upgraded to 6.0 and back down to 5.5 to "fix" the problem to no avail. i've rebooted a few times so that won't fix it. i went to internet options and 'show pictures' is checked, as it has always been. can anybody lend me a hand? netscape works properly as does ms explorer. this is really weird.

thanks for any help

jeff

oh and one more thing i ran the repair option when add/remove the program to no avail also.

Welcome to Sysopt

In order for us to be able to help we will need more information.

What are your system specs?.
    What exactly is your problem?.
    What were you doing when the problem first occured?.

enjoy your stay

ok, here are a few more specifics

system 450 mHz HP
    ram 96 mb
    cable modem
    ie 5.5

problem: 2 days ago i would click on internet explorer and no pages would load. it would show up faster than usual (the page that says "cannot display page").

so i shut down and gave up. the next day, yesterday, i began again and now images do not load properly on any website. now this problem only occurs in IE (and never happened before). i checked it out in netscape and ms explorer and they work fine.

solution: i tried to uninstall IE 5.5 and ended up repairing it. this did nothing. i then installed 6.0 and the problem is still there.

what i was doing when this occurred: hmm, i remember some funky program being installed without me even okaying it, it's called gator. there were actually 2 programs that came with this and over the past 2 days, both have been removed (through add/remove programs)

this is really bugging me since i only want to use IE.

any suggestions??

go to setting-control panel-add/remove programs. Double click IE and choose "repair." See if that helps.

I think he did the repair option already. Who is providing your cable service? I have a similar problem because Road Runner is having massive and I mean massive issues in WI and NY. Its been this way for days.

Just a thought - but check and see if your IE security setting are set too high.

Ken

Ultimate Member
    Also add and remove programs won't remove all of GATOR.
    GO>START>RUN>REGEDIT.> H_KEY_LOCAL MACHINE>software
    and H_KEY_CURRENT USER>SOFTWARE. Remove anything that says gator on it. Add and remove programs doesn't remove all of it.
    If I remeber right also in C:Windows there is a folder for gator.
    also check C:Program files to.

hey guys

i have roadrunner cable in nyc. it's been fine for the past few weeks though. i ran scan disc and found some problems also. i will try removing gator as noted. and i can't even seem to find IE in my add/remove programs lately.

do you really think roadrunner is the source of the problem?

thanks for the suggestions, i need to fully run scan disc again when i get home today and then try and remove gator fully and try to repair IE again.

thanks

Yeah, if you can get to the tech support here. They'll tell you they are having issues that should be fixed soon. Some of the problems are images not loading, e-mail spotty or just plain slow speeds.

Check everything else though because as of yesterday I was getting images ok again.

more ie help??

does anyone know if roadrunner is having problems, still? my ie still won't work. i disconnected from my cable line and reconnected and i re-installed 5.5 and repaired it and checked the internet options for pictures checked and i am now clueless!!

any more help??

thanks much

jeff

Did you use a reg editor to get those buried bits of Gator out? Some of that stuff they hide deep just to drive you nuts I think.
    You found hard drive problems but the only issue you have is IE so far correct?

I don't know about NY anymore, but Northeast WI up for a few days until today again. My pictures are loading this outage though. The connection just drops periodically to keep you on your toes. It's been like three weeks of weird service for RR. I am being credited though.

KISS
    keep it simple st***p

First, select tools from IE
    Select advanced and click on restore defaults.
    Then click back on general and select delete all files, and select delete all offline content.
    Then, click on the security tab.
    select dafult levels for each setting.
    Close IE, and open the c:\temp folder
    Delete everything (make sure you dont have any real files in there first)
    Empty trash

best practice, REBOOT

Let us know if the problem still exists