Thread: IDE cable &\or IDE controller

IDE cable &\or IDE controller

Hello, I'm back again with more questions. Sorry to keep bothering all of you re: similar problems, I have searched all through the forums using keyword and really couldn't find specific answers to my questions.

So this is my system:
    1. EFA mobo-Viking II
    2. Cyrix CPU 300 MHz
    3. Maxtor 20 gig HD
    4. 3D Permedia 8 mb 64 bit 3D video excelerator
    5. Delta 48x CD Rom
    6. Asound gold sound card
    7. HP CD rw 8100I
    8. Zoom 56 K modem
    9. running Win 98 se
    10. 128 mgs of Ram
    11. Mag Scanner
    12. Sony Trinitrom 19" monitor

I was having a big problem with my CDrom & my CDrw. Also the HD light on the front of the tower stayed on continuously. When I would turn on my machine it wouldn't recogize one or the other or both at times. It's happening again but this time I removed the IDE cable and unpluged the power source. Now the light is acting normally and I am not getting locked up, no error messages either when locks up. For more detail re: problems see my post of 9-24-01. I will replace the IDE cable (simple enough) and see what happens. But if it ends up being the controller card, I have a few questions:

1. When buying a IDE controller card what do I need to be aware of? Specs & so forth?
    2. When I install it will I need to attach all to card? Or can I use the IDE ports on MB & controller card?
    3. Am I even going in the right direction?

:o
    Thanks Again, Gayle
    Last edited by Gayle; 10-08-2001 at 03:01 AM.
    Gayle

Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA Home of the FREE!!

Re: IDE cable &\or IDE controller

Originally posted by Gayle
    1. When buying a IDE controller card what do I need to be aware of? Specs & so forth?
    2. When I install it will I need to attach all to card? Or can I use the IDE ports on MB & controller card?
    3. Am I even going in the right direction?

:o
    Thanks Again, Gayle
    I can suggest a controller card from www.promise.com . You can go here and get information on a lot of different controller cards. I personally have an ata100.

I haven't used the controller in conjunction with Mobo.
    I just got my brand new 8086XT! They threw in a 13" CGA monitor free!!

Gayle,
    might sound silly here but have you checked the jumpers on the back of your drives. sounds to me as if you have either two master or slaves on the same IDE cable.
    The constant HDD busy light is usually a symptom of the Cable being upside down, I am presuming that both the offending drives are on the Secondary IDE cable, as the wrong way round would stop the system booting.

Replace the power supply.