Thread: HIMEM.Sys not found?

HIMEM.Sys not found?

My friend is having trouble with his computer,we have close to the same setup.
    ECS K7VMA Mainboard with onboard sound and video
    AMD 750 Duron
    15 gb maxtor hd
    128 mb pc133 RAM
    Win 98 SE

Here's what it did that I saw.

Booted up, screen came up there was a problem with the registry, windows said it would fix it with back up registry, then it said it would restart. Then it gets into a loop of the same thing over and over.
    We started it one time ,it said there was an error at such and such in himem.sys x something, I can't remember exactly, then it said himem. not found.
    So what EXACTLY is himem.sys?
    We put the 98 se cd in after we used a startup disk to get it going and ran setup again (with fingers crossed) hoping this would correct the possible corrupted files but no luck. He BELIEVES either his wife or kids deleted something but we can't figure it out.
    I'll try to get him to post with more info if I can.

Himem.sys is the device driver required by Dos to use extended memory (all installed RAM in excess of 1 Mb) including the free memory in the high memory area (HMA).

Make sense? If you're not familiar with the was DOS handles memory, don't get into it. Too confusing.

Boot from windows CD and just run setup again. That should do it. Himem.sys is located in /windows/command folder.

Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA Home of the FREE!!
    Actually you can get a friend to give you a copy, providing it's the same version, if you wanted to and just put it in the windows\system directory not windows\command.
    Last edited by GrimBo; 10-02-2001 at 04:26 PM.
    I just got my brand new 8086XT! They threw in a 13" CGA monitor free!!

I believe the problem fyxxer32 describes is when Himes.sys reports that it has detected some kind of "unreliable memory in address xxxx:yyyy". It means that you have some kind of RAM problem, most possible physical, and you must replace your memory stick(s).

Best Regards ...

heyal,

i remember getting that and it going wacky well its there windows sometimes acts dumb and lazy just go to the cd or 1st you can just copy it from the hard drive put a copy of it in the root directory and copy of it where its at either should be as above in windows\system\ but might even have a copy of it in the command directory[ but then again could have been me copying it there lol]

if it got corrupted just copy it from the root directory of the win98 cd

make sure also that it can reference it from the config.sys ie:
    device=himem.sys [<<<with or without the c:\ reference] or
    device=c:\windows\himem.sys

if error keeps coming up and looping it will start telling you another error like problem with user.exe and like

but try that and see if it works i had to do that too.

good luck,
    sb
    Thank ya kindly,
    Southern Belle

{{{{Stand Tall, Stand Strong, Stand True,
    We are the Proud Red, White and Blue!
    We are Free, We are Americans!}}}}

I think ND has the closest to what I remember it doing nailed . I will fire it up again when we are back on duty at the station in the am . Thanks to everyone for their assistance ,I will update you if we are successful!!!!!!

try adding this to your config.sys file

device=c:\windows\himem.sys /m:1

If it doesn't work then change the /m:1 to /m:2 and then /m:3 etc. upto 12.

We ended up swapping out the RAM, bad RAM was the problem.