Thread: What's wrong with Win95c?

What's wrong with Win95c?

Tell me if this is right. Win95c (rev. 2.5) has USB and FAT32 (i.e you don't have to break you hdd into 2gig partitions) support. This came out right before Win98.

In my experience Win95 runs faster and leaner than Win98, Win98SE, and WinME. If it has all the features of its siblings and can be upgraded via downloaded utilities (i.e. DirectX, media player, etc.) and can run DVDs, CDRWs, etc.

I recently rebuilt a 486 class system for a friend and they had that OS for it. I would never install Win98 or higher on a 486 because it really bogs them down.

So why not install Win95c on a Tbird 1.4GHz? Are there memory limitations? Speed? Hard drive size? Specifically, what won't it do and what can't it support?

Thanks!

Ultimate Member
    The only issue I know concerns AMD processors over about 300-350 MHz. And I'm not sure if this applies to all AMDs or just K6s. In my case, at least before I figured a solution, was that I had to underclock my box to 266 MHz to get W95b installed, apply the AMD "fix", then overclock to 375 MHz or even 412 MHz. There are ways around this -- extracting the "fix" files and have them in the proper folder using DOS before installing Windoz. Go to the AMD site for the W95/AMD "fix" program and maybe look around there and even email them to see what they say. These files are updated:

Esdi_506.pdr
    Hsflop.pdr
    Scsiport.pdr
    Cdfs.vxd
    Disktsd.vxd
    Ios.vxd
    Int13.vxd
    Vfbackup.vxd

Let us know -- this should be interesting.

Edit -- I also think W95x has a HD recognition limitation of 32 gigs, regardless of the mobo, tho some hackers have probably gotten around that.
    Last edited by BFlurie; 10-02-2001 at 11:42 AM.

"So why not install Win95c on a Tbird 1.4GHz? Are there memory limitations? Speed? Hard drive size? Specifically, what won't it do and what can't it support?"

Well the only reason i went from win95 to 98se was that there was software ans some devices that was not supported under win95 (webcam software and some other multimedia stuff).

Middle Age Member
    In Win95c USB is not fully supported, a number of devices simply do not work (or would not work for me) even with the very latest USB fixes.

Win98SE can be just as fast, if not faster, if all the web integration/craptive desktop stuff is turned off. Win98SE comes with a lot more drivers, utilities, and Internet connection sharing. Although Win98SE did not come with TweakUI, it can easily be added by using the one from a Win98 CD. And laughable as this may sound regarding a Windows product - Win98SE is the most stable of the Win9x releases.
    Last edited by CMonster; 10-02-2001 at 01:48 PM.

Also there is better, not even sure if win95 supports it, digital video support. ie digital video camera and firewire support with Win98SE, even normal Win98 has its limitations with those apps..