Thread: Cant access BIOS

Cant access BIOS

Working on an ACER Aspire 6120. System uses USB ports for both mouse and keyboard. Win98 locking up after booting. Wanted to boot into safe mode to diagnose problem. Keyboard wont work till windows is up.
    Tried using PS/2 keyboard with serial adapter, but nothing but blinking lights on the cap and num lock leds. Was hoping to get into the BIOS to check serial port settings, but cant do that either without keyboard working.
    Motherboard is an ACER V66M-2.
    Are there any boot disks with USB support? I guess that still wont get me into safe mode or the BIOS.
    Any suggestions short of getting a new MB?

Install PS2 kbd and clear CMOS with mobo jumper or remove battery.

Good luck

muchmark,
    can you elaborate on your suggestion to "Install PS2 kbd and clear CMOS with mobo jumper or remove battery."
    Im not so sure what PS2 kbd is.
    Thanks

A PS/2 keyboard has a small connector vs the old keyboards with a larger plug that contains 5 pins (DIN). The PS/2 plug also has a rectangular peg in with the pins so that you can't insert the connector the wrong way. Most recent motherboards use a PS/2 connector for the keyboard. According to the ACER website, your computer has a PS/2 connector for the keyboard.

Be sure to plug the keyboard into the correct connector. The mouse connector is also a PS/2.

They should be marked next to the connector and/or listed in your manual. I have never heard of an adapter to connect a keyboard to the serial port. I would guess that that is for a mouse, not a keyboard.

You can reset the CMOS (BIOS) to its default settings by moving a jumper on the motherboard. This should be listed in your motherboard manual. Alternatively, you could get on the net and look it up on the manufacturers website. The jumper terminal will usually have 3 pins (sometimes 4). Resetting the CMOS is just a matter of moving the jumper from one pair of pins to the other pair for a few moments. Then return the jumper to its original position. The BIOS will now have its default settings active which should help you out. You could momentarily remove the battery ( a quarter sized disk type battery) and achieve the same result. By the way, the CMOS reset jumper might be indicated by printing on the surface of the motherboard.

Good luck
    arjay

rj,
    I repair pc's as a sideline, and i know very well what a PS2 port and plug are. What im not familiar with is the kbd term that was used.
    And im not sure where you got the info on the Aspire 6120, but it has no PS2 ports. I have looked at the system, and removed a cover which hides the serial ports, and looked at ACER's site as well, and the specs show no PS2 port.
    http://www.acersupport.com/desktop/a...1xx_specs.html
    Thanks for the help.

kyb=keyboard

Try keyboard in another usb port as they can blow.

To clear cmos, remove power cable and battery from motherboard or use a ps2 keyboard to usb convertor.
    Why Are Woman Like Windows, You Spend Most Of Your Money On Them And Get Nothing But Trouble In Return !!

Ultimate Member
    I fought one of these a while back. The keyboard sould work in dos on it. The drivers for that board have dos support. Check your power supply to see if it is putting out enough voltage. The one i worked on wouldn't see the mouse at all. Bad power supply.

Thanks for the replys folks.
    I finally got the USB keyboard from the customer, and i was able to get into the BIOS, and load windows.
    I didnt realize that the BIOS could provide USB support for the keyboard and mouse. First time working on a PC with only USB ports for them.
    After all this, the system had 2 virus's, oleaut32 errror, and i was unable to get into the control panel, my computer, or system info.
    Kept getting IE cant open mycomp.htt error etc.
    Always a tough decision do i spend hours troubleshooting, or reformat.
    Nice clean install of Win98SE fixed all. Sorry for the fuss.