Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Children's computer case

KMA
    What about this one. It's $99+ shipping but it is more than just a case. http://www.pcliquidator.com/barbie.htm

300MHz Celeron Systems Builder
    Just add Hard Drive!

This system was sold by major retailers until the manufacturer decided to stop selling computer systems. The systems are brand new and have been tested. The systems are complete with drivers. All you need to add is a standard IDE Hard Drive and an operating System.

Specifications:

ATX Case (Mfg. Name was scratched out by them)
    ATX Power Supply (Small 150W – but OK for this system)
    Intel BP810 ATX Motherboard
    4 USB Ports (SYSTEM REQUIRES USB FOR EXPANSION)
    Intel 810 3D AGP Video Graphics
    AD1881 Stereo Audio
    Motorola 56K V.90 Fax Modem
    Serial DB9 COM Port (For Mouse)
    128MB PC-133 SDRAM
    40X Lite-On CD-ROM Drive
    1.44MB Floppy Drive
    Cables
    Drivers for Win98 and Higher (Not Win95!)
    Note:The manufacturer sanded off thier logos from the case and left some pretty funky looking spots. Not really a big deal, but you need to know. Simple Testers Brand model paint makes it look perfect.

Dear Bulldog, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I have certain concerns which I'd like to share with you.

I would review the wisdom of giving a computer to a four-yer old.Children that age still have a"magical" quality to their logic, and the archictecture of computers--with there "unpredictable" quality , there "glitches which can turn on a semi-colon, and the irregular timefactors in response time may confuse and only frustate your grand daughter.This may have an efffect contrary to your intent--which I take it is share with her the joys of computing.

By giving it a "kiddielook", this may not address these concerns but only aggrevate them A computer is not a "toy" and should not be "presented as such".

I am a trained psychologist with three decades of experience in working with children including training in Orthopsychiatry (Child and Adolescent Psychiatry) and would suggest stongly that you review your goals in giving your grand daughter a computer and some alternative ways this may be achieved.

Do some reading on "computer readiness"--perhaps this might point you in some directions you will find your grand daughter will enjoy.

Again, my intentions are to asist you inyour efforts to share the benefits of computing, not in anyway to criticize them.

Good Luck and Best Wishes to your Grand daughter!

Banned
    Pure PHYCOBABBLE!
    To deny children a PC is to deny them the future.
    The world today is computer based.
    To block them off from access to a PC is to retard them in the ways and hows of todays world.

My children have had their own PCs (made from spare parts as I upgraded my machines) since they could sit up in a chair.
    They started with simple shape programs, where pressing certain keys would produce certain colors, shapes, patterns or sounds, and have moved up to appropriate learning programs and games as they get older.
    I do not allow them to play any violent games, only educational and age appropiate games.
    My son is now 9, my daughter is 8.
    They are both well balanced, social, and happy kids.
    They do not spend an inordinate amount of time on their PCs. In the rare cases that they want to use their PCs for any extended lengths of time (90 min or more), I do not let them, and have them go outside or read a book. They rarely stay on their machines for more than 45-60 mins before they are ready to do something else away from the PC. Usually they are ready to move on to something more exciting after 20-30 mins.

The upsides of allowing them to have their own PCs are:
    -They are leaning to type. Both my kids know the layout of a keyboard better than many adults I know.
    -They are learning computer skills. Again, my kids know more about PCs than many grown-ups I know. They can install their own programs, run what they want, and do it without my help. They know how to load their encyclopedia CD and look up information on any topic they are interested in, or need for school projects.
    -They are learning the Internet. I do have security measures in effect to make sure they don't go where they aren't supposed to (which include me always being in the same room, keeping one eye on what they are doing). They can find sites, understand www. addresses and how they work, and gain great amounts of information and education on their own accord.
    -They always get As in their computer courses at school (yes, they do teach computer literacy in grade school these days). Most of what they teach at school in the computer lab, my kids already know. This impresses both the teachers and their freinds.

The down sides:
    -Not a single one that I can see.

So, with all due respect, Mr. child phycologist...YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. With appropriate supervision, and limits that are understood by the children, a PC is one of the greatest gifts of knowledge you can give to a child.
    Move out of the 60s, and try to see the world as it exists today.
    Last edited by Kruzin; 10-09-2001 at 05:51 PM.

vintron, said in the 2nd reply it will make your kids fat and be unsocial to give a child a pc.. I find this funny but at the same time I wonder, Is this true?
    I work with a guy that has 3 kids around the ages of 8,12, and 19. All of them are exremely smart and are very much computer wizzes. There are all what i will call "chubby", and I bet they get picked on in school (sad but true).

Ultimate Member
    Well, I came back to this topic intending to post the link that jad already did!
    Here's another, basically the same but w/o cpu for $69.99

But since I've stumbled into the "kids/ computers" thing, I'd like to point out another factor. I've been a comp hobbist since '83, and my kids, ages 16 & 17.5, grew up with computers around the house. They consider their presence & usage just another part of life. It's natural to them, and they seldom spend much time on 'em except for homework.
    But some of their friends will get on one for endless hours if allowed, even w/o a net connection. Because it's new and different to them.

To rephrase it, for my kids, it's old hat. No fascination.
    To others, it's "New Toy!!"

Get my point?
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Dear Kruzin: You are painting a worse case scenario of questiong how well adjusted, social computer literate kids grow up. Had nothing of the sort in mind. Indeed, good idea to show children--even young as they are able to understand--how to use computer in small incremental steps.
    Question I raised regared having "own" computer to be used at will as I understood it. Children having supervised access to computers is different scenario. Seems like the critic who criticizes the book never written, you chose to criticizcomments never made.
    I do have a problem with "cutesy" penguin or doggie cases presented with "look" of toys.Seems more for benefit of adults.
    As for denying children the future because is computer based, this is parental choice and as parental choice not everybody may want to present a hi-tech future to children. Other alternatives are available . Justas computer-literate children are not "Unhealthy", neither are children raised from a different cultural perspective.

Again best wishes to Bulldog in whatever way he chooses to approach given computer knowledge to Grand Daughter and I don't think my suggestion to learn more about subject of computer -readiness is "psychobabble". Knowledge is not "babble'

Kruzin:
    Please re-read my original post -and with an open mind--with these added comments in mind and we can have afurther reasoned discussion if you wish.
    Thanx
    Last edited by MegalosSkylos; 10-10-2001 at 08:19 AM.

Hey, all I wanted was to get my granddaughter a gift not start a discussion on child rearing. As to who can best decide how she is raised? I don't need to say it do I? My granddaughter as I said before is involved in more activities than I or my children were at that age or any age. As to access to the computer she has free rein right now. Give the 100 or so channels available to her on cable tv and the two computers in the house already she doesn't spend a great deal of time with either. Her father(my goofy son in law) buys quail eggs and chicken eggs and has an incubator in the garage and raises and releases them and my g.d. can usually be found in the back yard chasing the chicks around the back yard. There is a creek that forms the rear property line and she fishes with her dad and rides her bike and scooter. I think the fact that this moronic son in law doesn't insist on her wearing a helmet when she does this is more of a problem. As I said before; dance class, craft classes and now I understand, bumper bowling (what ever that is) is part of her life. Last night I spoke to my daughter and they were 'doing crafts' and had just finished making brownies for her class at school. The chance of her gaining too much weight is laughable because you couldn't make her sit still long enough to weigh her. While I am of the age to accept advice and choose to take or leave it, I'm also old enough to realize that Child psychology has been a bigger part of the last couple of generations of young people and they seem to be getting worse rather than better. I think we should leave parenting to parents even if I walk away shaking my head all the time. Given a choice my g.d. always says the same thing, "read me a story." Just like her mother. Thanks but I ordered the barbie machine for her and I appreciate all the advice.

Dear Bulldog,
    You sound like a man with uncommon good sense. Unfortunateltly, too many parents have all but abdicated their parental authority in the name of "popularity" political correctness. laziness, or God knows what.
    Once, about a decade ago I was on vacation in one of those resoert hotels where you spend most of your day right thwere. Well, we many of us were frequently annoyed by a daughter who seemed to be running her Father. Guess what, he turned out to be a child psychiatrist!
    Please don't blame Child Psychology though. Unfortunately, the problem is much larger as per above.Hey I don't know any relationship with computers and fatness. Everybody needs exercise of some sort.

Best wishes to you and your grand daughter.

BullDog, you get her whatever you feel is right.

I have to agree with you 100%.

kids need the variety of all that surrounds them.

So what if she plays games on the PC for a few hours a week, what do you think we are all doing!!!

Even this type of "chat" or "human connection" is a farce compared to what you have described.

Hope she likes the Barbie Case!

If you get the penguin monitor cover, will you install Linux for here

My 2¢