Thread: <Computer Store owners> Information Please

<Computer Store owners> Information Please

Hello;
    Thank you for taking the time to read this message.

I have been thinking of starting a small business of building and selling computers. I know store owners have to get their stock from somewhere and then naturally sell it at a higher price to make a profit.
    My question is who and how do you contact these suppliers ?
    I have searched the web for Wholesaler's but the prices I am looking at are the same as what I could buy the product for from my local computer store.
    I am just wondering where they get their stock from to make a profit to pay the rent / electricity / heat on the store etc.
    Any information will be appreciated.
    Thank You.
    Enigma

There is a company called AVUS. The sell to whitebox resellers. www.avus.com. Good service, nice RMA policy. Use them all the time at work.

I'll have to agree with cadd...hardware is a cut throat business. If you do so.. you'll find yourself making most of your money on the service side of things.

Providing on site support or making house calls could be very profitable with a standard rate. Especially if you gain a reputation for solving problems quickly. People recognize quality and will be willing to pay more with a little word of mouth advertisement.

Would you pay $40 dollars an hour just to find out your providing a 'learing environment' for a newbie (4 hours later ...still don't know) or would you pay $90 an hour to have it solved within an hour? Hmmm.... $90 buck an hour times 4-5 calls a day.........
    Last edited by cadetstimpy; 10-01-2001 at 11:25 PM.

yep

I do this and if you are trying to make some serious $ do the support.

I am a member of 5 of the huge wholesalers and can still get items cheaper and faster from online vendors. With the exception of cases and os. Most have a minimum of 500$ to get shipping inc

so I will buy a bunch of cases and os and get it shipped free. Otherwise the cases would cost too much!

I don't guarantee anything on the pc's I build. since 80% plus of the problems are user created. On the other hand I have never left anybody high and driy either. I just let them know if the part breaks, then I will help them rma it. If they HAVE to have a guarantee, then I tell them It will be 400$ extra. Most opt for the cheaper price. My rep has stayed Totally positive except for one onboard sound and video pc (the 3rd pc I ever built) LOL never will build one again.
    I only build the VERY high end systems now. lol, and most for newbies who have no idea what they have, just that it is a good deal. Word of mouth is great advertising.

go to http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/ and register your co, then off their site you can find many wholesalers. most will require a dba and tax id # in the paperwork you fill out prior to them talking to you..
    Did you ever eat a bug?

MY HEATWARE

Try also..

www.techdata.com (Wholesale)

Are you sure you have done enough research on this issue ?. I don't the IT industrys current situation will be of help to a starter.