Thread: Dual boot of Win98 and Win2k with System Commander Personal Edition

Dual boot of Win98 and Win2k with System Commander Personal Edition

I'm having some difficulty setting up System Commander Personal Edition (the version that comes with Partition Commander) to dual boot Win98 and Win2k. I realise that Win2k can provide a boot menu for dual booting the two but I would rather have it on the System Commander menu so that I can have Linux with them at a later date and all 3 will be together.

My difficulty lies with setting the boot information for 98 on a different partition. At the moment, I have installed Win98 onto the d: of my computer (which is the primary partition of my second hard drive). However, with Windows being Windows, of course the boot information has gone on to c: (the primary partition of my first hard drive). I have tried copying the boot information to d:, changing the relevant settings in msdos.sys etc., but I get an "Invalid system disk" error. I later went to the V-Communications (manufacturers of Partition Commander and System Commander) - http://www.v-com.com - and found that, according to the information there, the boot information for both Win98 and Win2k can only reside on the first hard drive. Can anybody help me with this scenario?

This was moved? Why doesn't it belong in Tech Support? It's a tech support query, isn't it?

Can somebody please help me? Please say if you don't understand or I haven't explained it properly in some way.

Not an expert on this , but please clarify:

Two OS's on one HDD or two?
    Do you want to add third OS to same HDD?

Seems like a full plate to even a newbie like me.
    Review in your own mind why you feel you need/want this.
    Perhaps giving more particulars will help somebody who does know this stuff to help you .

Good Luck.
    ---------------------------------------
    Errr..Sorry you did post some info , didn't see as was cut off by spacing.

Well this could be a Technical Support question but about App's n OS's. Hard to draw line sometimes.
    Last edited by MegalosSkylos; 10-06-2001 at 03:49 PM.

Problem Solved!

Great - the first reply come after I have solved the situation! Thanks, anyhow.

I have two hard disks available and will have three, BTW. I read that Win98 and Win2k both have to have their boot information on the first HDD. This is correct, but I misinterpreted it to require it on the first partition. I feel kind of stupid now - all that I needed to do was reduce the size of the primary partition on the first hard disk and create a second primary partition of 10 megabytes, on which went all the boot information (including msdos.sys instruction to get the Win98 program information off another partition). Once the partition was set active, it was very easy to get System Commander to boot from it. I changed the boot.ini settings on the Win2k boot partition so that it would no longer display a menu for dual boot and would just boot into Win98 and hey presto. Now I have some more partitioning to do...

Thanks, anyway.