Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My Mandrake 8.1 Experiences so far

Banned
    I don't know why everyone puts up with linux ****. Win2k is just as stable if not more plus you can run high quality productive programs such as PhotoShop, Dreamweaver, Freehand, Director, Quarkexpress, Illistrator, Flash and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on.
    With linux all you have is config problems, crashing and a bunch of worthless freeware.
    You pay nothing for Linux and you get nothing just pure garbage.

ngc457 can you please post your opinions in a new thread.

This is not about Windows Vs Linux, but a report on my experiences with Mandrake 8.1 - aiming to provide a bit of useful info to existing linux users who may want to upgrade.

However I work as a Win2k admin so would be more than happy to debate the Win2k Vs Linux issue with you, I just don't think this thread is the appropriate place.

Look forward to discussing this issue & hope I didn't cause offense.

Regards

Eddy

Bummer you had to reinstall Spooky.

ngc457 - I could easily pook around in the threads for people looking for help with windows and tell them to swtich to linux and there are lots of threads like that here at sysopt. I am not sure if you ever used linux but crash is the only it does not do. I would be more than happy to help you if you decided you woul would like to try. But I will now respect SpookyEddy's opinion and and wiaty for a new thread to start.

Like Eddy said - I hope I did not cause offense.

Thanks for the the support pbharris.

I know this thread has wandered a bit but I feel it doesn't need to turn into a "I hate windows" Vs "Ihate linux" thread

I have also private messaged ngc457, suggesting a new thread covering the Windows Vs Linux issue, where we can all flame & troll away . I have not yet received a reply, but I may just start the thread myself for fun

I was very impressed with the ease at which I re-installed my setup, took less than 30 mins to get everything working properly using automatic install & not formating "/home".

I have also been playing with the latest release of Mozilla included with Mdk 8.1, as suggested by lots of Sysopt users. So far I am very impressed with the quality of html rendering, unfortunately I still find the interface to be very ugly

Got Staroffice 6.0 beta working with no problems.

Just a few more of my ramblings.

Regards

Eddy

Got hold of my copy of 8.1, at last. Made the mistake of going for JFS first time around. I work with JFS (AIX) all day, and know what a great filesystem it is. Too bad it's still in beta for Linux. Nothing but problems and crashes.

O.K., re-installed this time going for Ext3. Very stable, no problems, slick new interface, installer, etc, etc.

Likes: My USB Xerox laser printer now works. (Wouldn't work under 8.0). Now accesses NTFS ro/rw. AND boots NTFS. Slick fonts. X-CDroast installed by default. My AMD chipset is now fully supported. Choice of Journaling filesystems that are bootable, right from install time. Slick new applets & KOffice.

Dislikes: My PCI Sm56 modem (h/w) doesn't work anymore. Parallel scanners still not supported. Seriously dumbed down for newbies and Windoze types - it even complains if you login to X as root ! How dare they ! I only ever login as root. It then proceeds to give you no desktop icons (KDE). It didn't even give me a clock on the taskbar, or the other usual applets. Had to add these manually. Don't know if this is a KDE 2.2.1 issue, or just the way Mandrake hs "customised" it.

Will continue to evaluate .........
    Last edited by linux_guru; 10-04-2001 at 03:43 AM.
    Given enough time & money,
    Microsoft will re-invent Unix.

Oh boy - a linux vs windows flamewar!!!
    have not had one of those since the 11'th.

Still waiting for star office....

hey Linux_guru - how is ext3? is it as good as reiserFS?

pb: Very Slick and stable. I think it's even quicker than Reiser. I'll have to run some benchmarks and test it out to be sure.

BTW - these ignorant windoze zealots, who haven't even tried Linux, are not even worth acknowledging. :o

Former volunteer
    ngc457
    He is asking for an opinion basing people's experiences with Mandrake 8.1 versus other distros. Not what you think of Linux in general. While I respect and welcome your opinion of Linux, please keep it in threads based ion its topic.
    Thanks for your anticipated compliance.
    Dave

Thanks dave,

Just for the record I now have my GeForce2 mx up & running on 'drake 8.1.

I installed the 2.4.8 kernel source using:

"urpmi kernel-source"

Then I untarred both the Nvidia kernel & GLX package using:

"tar -xzvf tarball.tar.gz"

Then compiled both packages (kernel first):

"make install"

Then edit X setup, (adding load "glx" & replacing nv with nvidia)

Works great and no longer get NVIDIA splash screen at KDE startup, must be part of the rpm's I guess. Quake3 runs excellently.

Unfortunately I am still having web browser problems. Mozilla is great but occassionally locks up in Sysopt & I have to kill it . Netscape is rock solid but to get the forum to be readable I have to increase the font size which messes up the text formatting on parts of the Sysopt homepage.

All the best.

Eddy

My Mandrake 8.1 experiences

I installed Mandrake 8.1 several days ago. I was very impressed. I had no install problems. It was very easy and very smooth.

I fired it up and I've had no problems yet. I haven't be able to do much stress testing, but it was a seamless transition from 8.0 to 8.1. I'm using ReiserFS for both root and home partitions.

In a few days, I'll get around to installing the nVidia drivers for my vid card and recompile the kernel.

posted by pbharris
    ngc457 - I could easily pook around in the threads for people looking for help with windows and tell them to swtich to linux...
    "pook"? That cracks me up!

I've now got my USB webcam working (well sort of), using "xawtv". Unforunately half the image is interlaced with green lines Takes stills OK though

Regards

Eddy

Middle Age Member
    Well, after 15 hours of downloading on my DSnaiL connection I finally got all 3 of the Drake 8.1 CDs - Installed on my daughter's system just fine and after compiling the nVidia drivers from source the 3d/opengl is working great.

Very slick!

BTW- my 7-year old dual boots, loves to play Linux games, and is also able to compose documents in Word or Star Office.