Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Upgrade to ME?

I would stay with 98n se or go direct to win2k if you are looking for stability.

Win2k is user friendly as well.

You would still need to install drivers for compability so you might go with win2k since it's more stable and robust.

I have tryed winXP beta and actually i was quite impressed! But it does require more ram to run good. I would say atleast 256 defenitly not less if you are into multimedi (ram is cheap today BTW)

However I will stick with win2k i get my job done and some software i use for my job works flawlessly under win2k and all my devices works fine with it.

hippo

Stay away from Win Me. Otherwise it's straight to the Sysopt Confessional for you.

2000 Pro all the way!! Great hardware compatibility, fast, and rock solid. Beautiful multitasking environment. I've heard good things about XP too, but haven't tried it yet, so I can't comment.

ME is really a strange acting OS, sometimes it is great, sometimes not. I can't wait for XP, I already have pre-ordered my copy.

I say go with XP 100%

If you want to play games, win2k is horrible.
    WinME has too many bugs.

But if you want a good stable system for anything but games, then win2k is perfect. I've got both a win2k system and a win98 system(the first one, because it's even more stable than win98se, The more they add, the more bugs and incompatibilities).

I can get win2k to run just a few games. Runs extremely stable.

Win98 runs all my games. Runs pretty stable(every now and then it'll freeze, but I believe that's more to do with the games I play on it, tribes2 for instance).

Hawkeye178 istalled winMe in his computer and now it runs like ****. It uses more memory and it seems to be worse. Win 2k is cool.
    Hawkeye177

I'm down with 'AXEL"--avoid all new medicines and new OS's (or any other major SW). At first, all you hear is the PR praises. Later the "true facts" start coming out!

Maybe six months and three patch kits later you'll like it , maybe you wont.

Also, how much System resources does XP eat up? Each new OS seems to double the "draw'. Ah, WINTEL, alive and well.

Question for Mr Gigabytes (?) and other 2000 Pro afecionados: How multimedia friendly is 2000 Pro like for TV out, Web TV, and also Direct Connection and other ME stuff.

Seems to me my best choice is either 98SE or 2000.
    Keeping an open mind.

Is there an upgrade for ME to 2000 and how many smackers to support the charitable M$?

Like Hawkeye , when I "upgraded" from First Edition to ME, Computer acted like haunted for three months. M$ generously gives you only two free phone calls. Must be busy "innovating".
    Last edited by MegalosSkylos; 10-05-2001 at 12:07 AM.

Nooooo Meeeeeeeee!!!

Windows 2000 is great but I would stick with your 98SE until end this year. Then see if people are still praising XP. The only thing I have heard that not all hardware runs under XP. But this is a drivers issue and all manufactors are working on this.

XP is still a child learning his way into the new world with dos as his grandpa, win 3.11 as his pa, win NT as his mother and win98 as his big brother and WinME as the evil twinbrother of Win98.
    But he will be mature soon and than we will see what he's capable of.

Dear Dutch Master:

Very Poetic. Very Poetic.

Yeah had nothing to do in the last minutes at work before weekend