Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to ME?

Hybrid View

Upgrade to ME?

Have 98se now, but have been wondering is it worth it to upgrade to another operating system? And what would be the main choice? ME,2000. Need it to be user friendly as my Fiance will be making the change as well. She uses the PC as well. I don't want to get her to wacked out. I figured ME.

Sweeper

What are your System Spec? If you are gonna upgrade, what about XP? XP home edition is supposed to be extremely user friendly.

J
    Smile often! It makes people wonder what your up to.....

If it isn't broke.....

I am sitting on Windows XP Professional right now, and everything is very easy to do, but it does not restrict you from doing things the hard way. I have also used Windows XP Home, and it is slightly dumbed-down but also very very nice.

I reccommend for everyone. My computer starts up in about 78 seconds on 2000, and about 19 in Windows XP Pro.

It's that great, yes.

Cody where did you get your copy of Win XP Pro? Is yours Beta? Can you buy OEM copies yet? I know they are in Machines at the stores already.

J
    Smile often! It makes people wonder what your up to.....

DO not go WInme

such a hassle

jman01pa WinXp to buy for the public does not come out till october 25

JaYsin

depends.. 2k is better for networking and is more stable than ME

98SE is fine tho

Ultimate Member
    I've also got Windows XP Professional (RC1, RC2, and Gold master) and have found it to be an excellent OS, though I have major reservations about its spyware functions.

DO NOT use ME. It is a bug-ridden piece of garbage.

why go through the pain of upgrading? What need would it serve?

I haven't touched ME myself, but everything I've read says "skip it" wait for XP to stabalize after it has been in public for 4 or 5 months - let 6 million OTHER users beta-test it for Microsoft.

Generally, I never load a new MS OS when it first comes out, but this time it is especially true because Microsoft didn't allow the OEM's to beta-test it before releasing it to the public...... IE - The OEM's just got it - the typical period allowed manufacturer's to pre-load it on their systems is tiny this time around - so there will probably be lots more bugs for Microsoft to fix in the immediate future......

I'll wait until the next XP release or at least 3 service packs come out for this one before I buy it and load it on one of my systems.....

Also - when you leave 98, you lose what's left of the MS - Dos components behind and many of the games and some of the applications you are running today will not work correctly.

So my advice is to minimize your grief and don't convert the computer until early second quarter next year - And then, don't run an "upgrade" - back up all of your data files and reload fresh with a full version of the operating system.

ah new OS does serve purposes.. i would keep 98SE or upgrade to 2000Pro depends on if you want to use it for networking

waiting for XP to come out then waiting for it to stablize is a long time to wait don't you think?

as far as ME goes.. theres no real point in upgrading to it.. but you can getrid of most of the bugs with service packs they offer free

I have upgraded several machines. some work ok, some slow down. I would never do it again.
    Did you ever eat a bug?

MY HEATWARE

I'm running ME and have absolutely no problems. very stable compared to earlier versions. I can't remember when I last saw a BSOD, maybe months ago. I run it on a couple machines on a network. I won't go to XP due to the spyware and registration ****. I just saw another post from a guy who burned a cd with the new Windows Media Player with XP technology. After making the cd he reformatted his HD and now the machine won't play the cd due to built-in licensing B.S. Bill has made a deal with the music companies and you all are the losers.

ME is practically a modified version of 98. There's no real advantage of upgrading to ME, IMHO. Better to get 2000 or XP, if you REALLY need it. Otherwise, keep the $100+ from Bill and get yourself some nice hardware.

Sweeper,
    Go W2K, The GUI is the same[as9x] for a casual user, and not much different for those more involved.

If you are looking for sound and vision apps, there are plenty better than standard windows fare.

Your usual Win Office Apps plugin fine, regardless of version, and there is still a command prompt [if you are so inclined].

And yes, the kids old Dos games will run, along with more serious business apps.

MS will try to push a newer 'Professional' OS sooner or later, for sure. 2K will be around a while though.

We have a major bank here still running NT3.5. And a major supermarket chain, this year move to NT4. There is life in the NT family. ChrsR.

I have heard Win2k is very stable.