Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anti Virus Software

I would recommend AVX as well. It works really well, even on a network. Get it here.

Norton I would say is a good product, although a resource hog. But McAfee....ICK!!! Software conflicts up the rear end. I can't tell you how many times I've fixed seemingly major Windows issues by simply removing McAfee, especially that stupid ActiveShield program it has that comes with new name-brand PC's.

i wonder if any of these companies will still manage to stay in business when they charge for these services

I've installed Norton AV 2002 and really like the new feature it has... it not only checks inbound e-mail, it also scans any outbound e-mail for a virus also... pretty good idea for anyone who uses OE.

You still get 1 year of free updates before you have to pay for the subscription service... it stopped being free forever with NAV ver. 4.0, I believe.

You can also use the automatic LiveUpdate feature which downloads and installs any updates available as soon as you go on-line if you wish to set it and forget it.

yeah but 1 year.. thats still a limit

Am using Norton 2002...was using PC-Cillin "98", until I got Norton...before that was using Dr. Solomons...and before that Fprot.

I am preferring Norton 2002...but, I have only caught 1 virus about a year and a half ago and manually deleted it because Solomons didnt catch it.

i used to use some anti virus by IBM i forget what it was called, then i switched to norton, then mcaffee, then to norton, now im using that chinese anti virus i mentioned

surprisingly the chinese anti virus found something on my hd that norton and mcaffee didnt find.. jeez i wonder how long its been sitting there..

Yo, KennyPolo, thats Been Laden isn't it? I believe it's a TV comedy of some sort in UK on BBC.

I also installed NAV2002 a while back and its awesome. On firing up it said I have one year free update and gave the date of expiry. After about 4 weeks, I upgraded to XP using a clean install and reinstalled all apps including NAV2002. It now gave me a year starting from the new install, so I guess I wound up getting 13.5 months.

Norton has been great to me. I'm able to scan incoming POP mail, and it even kills malicious activeX applets on websites. Usually the warez ones... maybe it's trying to tell me something there. It's usually the lame ones with "stolen" stolen content and 8 million pop-ups and requests for votes. They can bite the big one as far as I'm concerned, which is probably why I only visit once in a blue moon.

But back to AV programs, because I've used them ever since I was on the net (late '94 I believe), I've never been damaged by a virus. They've all been caught the second they enter my personal space. "So remember, kids," always update your AV software. Unless I hear about "fit hitting the shan" in the virus prone corporate world, I check for updates every other week.

We just switched from Mcafee to Trends Officescan because both Mcafee and Nortons programs missed a couple of viruses that Trend picked up. Honestly I would not recommend a norton or Mcafee solution.

NAV 2002 for me:

- real time inbout and outbound mail on proxy
    - real time inbound and outbound mail on lan after the proxy server running wingate and za pro. all scanning done on the proxy server with NAV 2002 installed.
    - fast updates
    - after 1yr update expire, reinstall NAV 2002 and get another year

no matter though, they come out with a new version every six months or so and i'll just pick up the newer version.
    Last edited by r0l0e; 10-03-2001 at 02:15 PM.

been laden is just mr bean's face added to bin laden's body

mr bean is an old hit tv show in europe

Speaking of Been Laden, check out this site. Interesting.

http://ballericons.com

i've been there.. the icons there have been getting worse and worse every week

I've been using pc-cillin for 6 months now. Love it. For $8.00 a year I get 1-2 updates a weeks. Won't use anything else ever.

ARGH!!! double post