Thread: Midi files don't play . . .

Midi files don't play . . .

O.K. I am befuddled.

I was recently sent a batch of midi files from a musician friend. I tried playing them on WinMediaPlayer, RealPlayer, WinAmp, NoteWorthyPlayer all to no avail. They would load into all the players and the progress slide (the thing that shows how far along the tune is) moves, but no sound comes out. I have gone in to the settings of each player and made sure they can handle midi; checked to make sure windows volume control didn't have midi muted. Every thing looked good. I also tried the files on another computer and the files work.

Last night I went to the Creative site and downloaded Live!Ware 3.0. And while it added some neat quirks that I hadn't had with the earlier live!Ware it didn't help the midi files. Although, in the "Environmental Audio" section of the Live!Ware it has a bunch of midi settings and all the tests there WORK!!

Anyone have any ideas!? BTW I have the SB Live! value card.

Try running the audio tests from dxdiags to see if your direct sound drivers are corrupt.
    Why Are Woman Like Windows, You Spend Most Of Your Money On Them And Get Nothing But Trouble In Return !!

What is . . . where is dxdiags?

O.K. I found dxdiags. Very Cool! Learning something new is always good. What was frustrating though was all the tests drew or played something and then said "Did you see/hear it?" Under the music tab, I tested Midi and a window came up saying "You should hear music." and an "OK' button. Where was my "No, as a matter of fact I don't!" button?

Might this be the result of buying the SB Live! Value card?

Do you have sound out of your sound card at all from any source ? If not check to make sure you have the right output connected to your spkers. If you are using powered spkers make sure they are on.

Yeah, every file type plays great - except midi. All the players open midi files and the progress meter shows them playing, but no sound.
    Last edited by Quixotik; 10-05-2001 at 01:20 PM.

Anything plugged into the midi port (if you have one) on the back of your sound card?

Are headphones plugged in when you try to listen to these files?

Do a quick check of your MIDI volume. Double click the speaker icon next to the clock. You should see a slider labeled "MIDI" or "Synthesizer". Make sure the slider isn't at the bottom and the "Mute" box isn't checked

Another thing to check is your MIDI settings in the control panel. Go to Control Panel >>> Multimedia >>> MIDI. Make sure the MIDI instrument is set to use your SB's internal MIDI synthesizer and not the external synth.

I hope this helps.

DanU, U da MAN!!

I had checked EVERYTHING to no avail. Your suggestion was it. In Control Panel - Multimedia - Midi tab the single instrument output was set for "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth" I changed it to "MIDi for Creative SB Live! Midi Synth" and whoop there it was.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. You all are the best!