Thread: Why does Media Player keep trying to access the net?

Why does Media Player keep trying to access the net?

Hello there,

Every time I watch a movie with media player 7.1 after about a minute Zone Alarm catches it trying to access the net. What is this all about? It really does my nut when I am sitting across the room and watching a film on full screen when it switches back to normal mode.

I don't wan't to completely stop it from connecting to the net as it sometimes needs to download codecs.

What is going on here and can it be stopped?

Griobhta
    Duron 700@700 - ABit KT7-Raid Artic Silver and Coolermaster copper somethingorother- 256Mb PC133 CAS 2 Crucial- 30Gb IBM ATA-100 - ASUS Geforce2MX w Blue orb - Iiyama Vision Master 411 - ASUS 8X DVD -Plextor CDRW 16/10/40 Hauppauge Win/TV Radio - Soundblaster Live 1024 - Logitec Deskman cordless keyboard and mouse

I think it is checking for an updated version of the software. I've noticed it doing this sometimes too. Go to Tools -> Options and on the Player tab look at the Auto Upgrade settings. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable it completely, but you can have it only check once a month.

Ultimate Member

Well had WM already set to check for update once a month. Changed the registry as the link suggested Fingers but no joy. Well see how it works after a reboot I suppose.

Griobhta

EDIT

Nope no joy after a reboot. Didn't really think it would make much of a change. Ony other ideas????
    Last edited by griobhta; 09-30-2001 at 01:08 PM.
    Duron 700@700 - ABit KT7-Raid Artic Silver and Coolermaster copper somethingorother- 256Mb PC133 CAS 2 Crucial- 30Gb IBM ATA-100 - ASUS Geforce2MX w Blue orb - Iiyama Vision Master 411 - ASUS 8X DVD -Plextor CDRW 16/10/40 Hauppauge Win/TV Radio - Soundblaster Live 1024 - Logitec Deskman cordless keyboard and mouse