Thread: D3d vs OGl

Ultimate Member

D3d vs OGl

--eeer this may make me sound like a bit of a simpleton -- but which is the better 3d mode - open GL - or D3d - i always thought Open GL was best when i used my Voodoo3 - but now ive got a Geforce2MX400 - and im unsure.

Cheers

I guess it depends on what its being used in...
    I've noticed that Direct3D is usually faster....but In Halflife OpenGL runs much smoother than D3D...

This is with a TNT2 card, Not sure about the GF2.

Don't know about faster.
    To me OpenGL in games looks alot better than D3D (less 'grainy' is the only way I can describe it).
    However, I think there are more features in D3D, features that most games dont use. Tkae a look at 3Dmark2001 and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah....if we could be playing games like what is shown in 3D2k1 I would have to give the trophy to D3D.
    "Force against force. That is war. Only brute strength ensures victory, and with vistory, comes survival."

I would hope Direct3D is the better mode. Much more time has been spent on Direct3D, not to mention how much newer it is than OpenGL. Plus, more video cards are being created to be more compatible and optimized with Direct3D. For instance, the GeForce3 .

I use OpenGL for UT and RTCW on my Visiontech geForce 3. It runs great also but when i use my 3dfx voodoo 3 3000pci......I run Glide of course. My voodoo had major problems on UT with anything other than Glide
    Shuttle Spacewalker AK32 DDR mobo
    AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.2Ghz 266Mhz FSB
    384MB DDR RAM PC2100
    Visiontek GeForce 3 64MB
    SB Live!mp3
    Sony 4x-2x-24x CDR-RW
    WinXP & ME on dual boot WD60gig
    3DMark2001 Score = 6159 defaults published

I like the look of OGL better then D3D. It just seems to look smoother. It also runs much better in 3d studio max then D3D. A friend of mine who is a programmer says that D3D is easier to program for.

It all depends. For all Voodoo cards I'd say Glide is the best. For most of the time Geforce cards will work fastest in OpenGL, while Radeon cards have been heavily optimised for D3D.
    There are some exceptions of course. I have found that on my Geforce Plus card UT runs quicker in D3D than OpenGL. sKiT, you might want to try that. The OpenGL in UT is experimental only