Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gateway to drop AMD

Gateway to drop AMD

sad sad sad......but its not like anyone purchasing and/or leasing a gateway pre-built machine went in and asked for an AMD based system....most of the un-informed flock to intel
    Shuttle Spacewalker AK32 DDR mobo
    AMD Athlon T-Bird 1.2Ghz 266Mhz FSB
    384MB DDR RAM PC2100
    Visiontek GeForce 3 64MB
    SB Live!mp3
    Sony 4x-2x-24x CDR-RW
    WinXP & ME on dual boot WD60gig
    3DMark2001 Score = 6159 defaults published

Way to go Gateway!! Idiots...I guess you think thats the reason your company is flopping?....I have had two Gateway systems...I guess they will be the last...

Middle Age Member
    Most of the computer savy people have dropped Gateway already.

Yepper,
    I too was once a BIG hardcore Gateway fan, but when they dropped the Destination line at the end of 1999 is when I started to migrate to NO ONE.
    R.I.P. Gateway 1989-1999

I just loved the big monitor, so now I went even bigger to the 52" RCA MM52100 display. It was then that I decided to build my own PC from scratch and I am **** glad I did. Now I cruise along at 1,100MHz T-Bird style (with Abit KT7A-RAID of course) and I have NEVER looked back.

Hey wait, what's that on the street..... oh that's just my rear view mirrors that's all. LONG LIVE AMD.............
    Just remember, beta was better, but where is it now?
    Better does not always equate to success.

Well gateway computers...

If you dont build your t-bird from scratch that would take the fun out. And besides gateway could make a Great cpu such as the t-bird preform badly in a gateway system with there video cards and sound cards. I bet gateway dont even know what **** they put in there. Who wants a gateway anyways. Every one I have seen has been slow compaired to what it could do with the cpu and not worth having. We hope for better times for amd. Stay away from gateway and there *Value* Systems. Long live VIA and AMD.
    Last edited by outlaw_revolver; 09-28-2001 at 09:30 AM.
    Chris Stafford

AMD should start their own PC company.

Goodbye Gateway

I'll miss the spotted cows. Starting in 1989, I personally bought at least two Gateway systems each year...each new model. I sold another hundred or so by recommendation. By 1993, they began shipping me DOA machines. At least it helped me get into building for myself. By 1994, they shipped <deleted> with little plastic switches which broke off within six month...each inferior switch saved the corporation about half a cent. Then they went international, Ted sold out (in every sense of the word), and so goodbye to the little Iowa company with the spotted cows and the great ads. They could not today give me a free one! They are toast!
    Last edited by Fingers; 09-29-2001 at 10:05 AM.

Wow.... it seems like Intel has recently bribed some major deadwood at Dell and Gateway.

But in all fairness it is almost impossible to make money selling PC's today with everyone whoreing out their product lines with margins slimmer than five dollar hookers.

But history has proven time and time again that selling the better product doesn't guarantee anything.

I'll betcha Intel buys AMD within a year.... GULP...

-RMB

:o no one buys gateway anyway.. intel pftt not many pc savvy people buy intel either -_-

most people are looking for name brands and prices

a lot of people are mostly buying micron or compaq systems if they want name brands

by the way.. whatever happened to emachines? and their wannabes.. zmachines?

Gateway lost me back in '95 or '96 when they introduced those cases with the cover that was freaking impossible to put back on when you were done working on them.

Seriously, I bet if I was to go back to the college I was doing IT work for back then, you'd find a bunch of old Gateway boxes with the cases slightly bent.

But as for AMD, I seriously doubt Gateway was a major contributor for their revenue stream. (but certainly not small, either) Of course, I could be wrong.
    The three greatest things in life - God, Computers, and Baseball.

Well, this sure won't help Gateways bottom line. Have you checked their stock price lately? I would think that the cost of a Duron would motivate a gasping fish to bite. Ahh just another Emachine anyways!

I doubt if intel would buy AMD.. That would be kinda monopolistic seeing as how there isnt really much in the way of a competitor other than AMD (Via kinda is... but who here actually has a new Via C3 Processor? I'm tempted to get one and see if it over clocks...)
    If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, does that mean those with knowledge will be corrupted?

Late breaking news:

AMD drops Gateway for making them look bad!

Yep, Gateway is dropping AMD, and here's why: Gateway was using OEM AMD boards.. in other words, boards designed by AMD.. well, they may be great at processors, but they suck at boards.. they stuck one of the PCI slots on the same IRQ as APM (Advanced Power Management) in other words, the computers rebooted at completely random times.. usually when connecting to the internet (modem) or the LAN. And to make it worse, the geniuses at Gateway never truly adopted the solution of... you guessed it.. just moving the modem or NIC to another PCI slot..... And so ends the saga of the Gateway and AMD tag-teaming the poochie....

No, I've never worked for them, really.. : )

gateway indeed sucks, but what can you do. only a small percentage of pc users build their own systems, and out of them only a small percentage choose intel. i am one of those people. it just means intel cpus will become even cheaper. hate me for it if you want, but its just the nature of the beast. the thing that is great about amd is as long as they stay in business, intel will go faster and cheaper.