Thread: Does Philips make good monitors?

Does Philips make good monitors?

Hi, any members here have monitors from Philips and how do you rate them...I'm asking because I'm getting my sis a comp,and Philips sell their monitors pretty cheap..

Thanks
    Parts

Intimate Member
    Well, I probably should not reply to your post coz I don't know anything about Phillips monitors...but...I know their customer service sucks big time.

This comes from a Phillips CD-RW drive I had that went south, and I couldn't get Phillips to give me the time of day.

Have 2 - 17" Philips 107B monitors. Both purchased about 18 months ago. Refurbs from Ebay (before their shipping got so high). Anyway, both are working well, decent picture. Never had any problems so I can't comment on their service. Am pleased with both.

Having said that, I also just purchased a 17" Envision EN-710 (made by AOC). Still in the box. Saw one on display at Fry's and the picture looked good. Bought it to try out because of the price - usually about $80-$90 locally after rebate. Don't know if you can get a similar deal where you are. Just another option.

piman

I can get a good deal here in Malaysia,infact a better deal, it's because the government wants every one to have a pc and they're monitoring the dealers prices here You can also get a PC in schemes like EPF,maybe SOSCO and you can also pay monthly with agreement with the dealers..I'm currently looking for information about online shopping in Malaysia maybe its much cheaper.We also have PC FAIR numerous times in a year and You can get the latest Machine and still smile but the problem is people here are PENTIUM lovers, and most of the comp are ready assembled sometimes you can't freely choose your setup eg..dealers here makes the combination of the monitor,casing,speakers and key boards and they call it sumtin like tecdos 14000 going with their company name. You can't change the setup because it is a budget setup from them,but they are pretty cheap... The best is yet to come the prices are dropping quickly except for NOTE BOOKS or LAP TOPS.

I've had good success with the 17" 107S monitors. I've
    bought 3 in the past few months. The picture is bright, it has
    a small footprint, plus I usually get them for a good price
    when Office Depot has a sale + $50-60 rebate + maybe an
    on-line coupon.(Final cost $100-110 + tax).
    Hope this helps.

I don't know if this is true only to Philips monitors, but what I experienced about some philips' monitors was that after some time a corner of the screen turned pink or something (a loss of color). our department bought 2 philips monitors for a barcode printing station and after a month or two, the defect occured.

I dont know if it was a monitor problem, but the workstation is brand new compaq desktop PC.

just be cautious though.

regards,

richard

Intimate Member
    Richard, That sounds a little like a screen burn..but that soon?..have you (or somebody) tried to degausse the monitors?

I would certainly think this defect is related to the monitor, rather than the software it is running.

In my experience, they sux.

I'd purchased a 17" 107s philips, 5 months ago, and with in 3 weeks, i got screen burn ( very small, red burn in). It was too late to return it as a defect, and i didn't have a warranty at bestbuy. So i called philips, and after waiting 40 minutes on the phone, they said it didn't qualify for a replacement on this 1 year warranty.

THEN, being the idiot that i am, i got another one....... I was thinking, maybe it was just bad, but it did it again, after 2 weeks. Fortunatly, i purchased the warranty this time, and returned it for a Samsung 753, 17" flat screen monitor.

Philips = very unhappy camper.

Just like I told you Parts.

I don't really like Philips monitors, personally. Shop around more and maybe you could get something better.

LET'S MAKE THINGS BETTER!!!!!!!

RBM

Thier high end's good.
    I've only seen one philips monitor ever - the 109P sitting on my desk.

Sounds like you want a value screen though.
    They have the shortest depth flatscreens available, if you want a flatscreen and are short on deskspace.
    That was my league, thats why i went with the philips.

Samsung is usually know for good quality with low prices. Maybe you'd like to look into them.

About philips and screen burns:
    I remember reading a review of some 17'' crt monitors in a local pc magazine, about 8-9 months ago, and guess what: The philips 107p20 they reviewed came with a screen burn. The lower left corner displayed red as pink. I wonder if this failure is common among phillips monitors -which I find hard to believe- or its a fault among monitors produced during a certain period of time and its now fixed.

The Samsung Dynaflat series are good monitors for the money. Try considering them as one of your option.

i think nikogian's right. Maybe a certain batch of this monitors may have been delivered defective and was not recalled.

by the way, is screen burn normal at certain conditions? how can it be fixed?

I had that red in the corner one time
    However I just went to the 'adjust purity' screen, and adjusted that corner until it was fine again.
    Maybe thats all it is, maybe its more.
    Ive had my monitor for about 10 months now.

Don't buy Philips monitors or cd recorders.
    For monitors, buy Samsung instead. The components are Philips, but the screen (CRT) is better.