Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the best printer

Banned

Cool What is the best printer

I currently have an old HP DeskJet540 Printer but I want to get a good new printer.
    It should be able to print color photos (or at least something similiar to a photo) but mostly it will be used for text (b/w) prints.

Also it should be simple to refill empty cartridges. (I hate my HP it's so difficult and stupid).
    Also a friend of mine recommend that all the different colors should be serperatelly refillable.

All in all I want a not to expensive (250$ maximimum) printer that is easy and cheap to refill and prints good quality (color and b/w)!

Thank you...
    cool°
    Variable

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

Epson 440, 720dpi

Cartridges look easy to fill

Office Depot has um here for $49.99

Bought 3 for systems I'm putting together

Haven't used one yet, can't give an honest opinion as to the quality. The tech there, a pal of mine, said they do a rather good job.

I know what you're saying about the HP, nearly impossible to fill.

At prices like this, you can SELL the printer when it gets LOW on ink and buy a new one, or get one outta the closet.

DrVette

Banned

Cool

Thank you. Anybody any other suggestions?

cool°
    Variable

Lightbulb

I've got the Hewlett Packard Desk Jet 840C with 1200x600dpi normal is very good. You also get the Photo cartrige with it and it boosts the res up to about 2400dpi (so they tell me). The pictures are really amazing. It only cost £98.

Rob

Lightbulb

I'd recommend HP DeskJet 950c a great printer for the money, the outputs are pratically photo at a MAX resoltion of 2440DPI. There is also HP Deskjet 930c which is ALOT cheaper and has the same quality print outs, but the printing speed is slower, but that's no biggy if you don't have to print many at fast speeds.

I used to use Epson Photo 750 which was a great printer also, but the bad thing about Epson Photo Printers are that the printer heads eventually get damaged and you'd have to take it to the Epson Repair Center to get the head repaired or replaced. I found that to be a real pain in the ****. But as for HP printers, the head gets replaced each time you replace the ink, because the heads are attached to the replacement cartridge itself. Therefore, each time you replace the ink cartridge on an HP, all printouts will look super clean as if it was from a new printer! The BAD side to HP catridges are that they are quite pricy! But to me, it's very much worth the money, I hate printouts that look cheesy from faded lines due to damaged or worned out head!

[This message has been edited by NDC (edited 09-03-2000).]

Lightbulb

I just got the HP932c. I'm very happy with it. No changing of cartridges when going to photo. 2400x1200 rez. Some people have told me ink won't dry out like my Canon did. That remains to be seen because have only had it for 2 months. Good luck.

Lightbulb

HP 930c and 932c is the same printer actually, and yeah, those are really good also. They print very nicely.

Lightbulb

Yeah, HP is a great way to go. Best graphics and text quality that you can get in their 900 series. About the only thing I see that can beat their photo quality is the Epson Photo 870, and just barely at that.

Oh and by the way, don't worry too much about resolution. That 2400x1200 **** doesn't happen unless you have something at that resolution to print, and can you imagine the file size if you did? Even the HP's that can do that do a better job using their PhotoRet III technology (you have the choice between the two), and they use less ink while they're at it. What's important is HP makes the most colors out of all the printers, and it lays it on the page very nicely. They're the most quiet as well.

The 932C is nice, the 952C will hold up better for you, faster too. $200 and $300 respectively.

The only gripe I have with HP is there is no support after their warranty. $25 a call LD.

Ultimate Member

Talking

I want one of those HP Photosmart 1100.

I've seen the picture quality and I think it's great! But if $499 is too much their 900 series are pretty good too. I've always like HP priters. For some reason Epson printers are kind of stupid because when you add another ink cartrage you never change the print heads. That's probably why HP has come out on top.

~Joel

Win_98

Lightbulb

I only print stuff once in a moonlight. I definitely avoid epson at all cost, the manual state clearly that if there is no more color ink and you still got black ink, it will not function. When you turn it on, it does this cleaning maintenance like 3 min to keep the ink from drying up. You have to do this at least once a day to keep it from drying up. Now with HP I can leave it there for a year and the ink won't be clogged. The next best thing would be Lexmark, they are the slowest and are cheapest too about 50 buck with rebate. Putting it in draft mode allow the printer to print 5 time faster then in normal mode, and is just perfect for text b/w document.

[This message has been edited by Win_98 (edited 09-04-2000).]

Banned

Cool

Most people now recommended HP-printers. First off I'm getting a new printer because I'm really pissed off my old HP DeskJet540 Printer and I heared not to good things about HP printers (eg:"If your printer-cartridge is empty get a new printer 'cause it's cheaper").

Now I want a printer that prints good quality photos and text but it should be cheap to refill/change the printer-cartridge.

With my current printer I have to change the cartridge every half a year. A new cartridge costs 40-50$ now that's pretty expensive in my opinion (10-20$ okay but not above). I was lucky and once bought (without knowing it) a cartridge where you could refill the ink (~5$ at K-Mart). But the cartridge has a somewhat flawed design and leaks/is hard to refill etc.
    Now I like the idea of buying cheap ink and refilling the cartridge but it should be easy to do and should not LEAK ink!
    Suggestions and recommendations are still welcome.

cool°
    Variable

PS: I don't care how fast the printer prints (even if it takes 10 minutes for a photo).

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

You said you need it mostly for b/w text printing, right?

My suggestion is actually to get two units. Whatever's cheapest for the color since cartridges often exceed the cost of a cheap printer. Just consider the whole thing as "suppplies".

But for the text work, here's what I've got & it'll be hard to beat.
    HP LaserJet 6Lse - 1.5 years of trouble free daily use, still on the original toner cart. Crisp, clear printing every time. So far, the only maintenance it's needed is to refill the paper tray...
    Have NOT regretted it, very worthwile investment.

Now I know this is over the budget you set, but you could go for the color inkjet now, set the funds aside for the laser, and save for it.

Lightbulb

I use an HP Deskjet 950c and I'm VERY happy with the output results. The outputs on photo paper, is just absolutley great. And this is the most quiet printer I've used so far. The ink catridges are kinda pricy as I mention in my earlier post, but the reason for the high price is that the ink head is attached to the cartridge itself. If you don't like to bother with your printer head getting worn out or damaged, the price is well worth it. For me it was definetly a good buy.

Lightbulb

Epson 600 is nice. I've been refilling the same 2 generic cartridges for about 5 months now - those things can take a LOT of refills. It has good print quality too. My only complaint - replacing the actual print heads is apparently impossible, without risking damaging the printer to get them out. Sort of stinks if they get severely clogged somehow - I have a Canon BJC-4200 printer also, and those print heads don't last through too many ink cartridges; good thing they're replacable.

Ultimate Member

Angry

Yeah that's my point about the Epson printers. I have a Epson Sylus Color 400. I have to admit it does have some nice print quality. But here lately the quality and the clearity has been degrading. I blame it on the retarded design of it. You can never change the print heads! And the thing that Win_98 said about them taking 3 minutes to clean the print heads every time you turn it on is so true. It's so annoying I just want to throw it out the window.

~Joel