Thread: And now for something completely different...

Let us know how it goes with your "friend".

Sounds like you have a little romance in mind.

And now for something completely different...

Hello there,

I have to confess to being somewhat of a classical music fan and I would be very disappointed if I was the only one here. Especially considering the links made between computers and mathematics and mathematics and music.

So here's the deal. I have a friend who thinks the Cello is the sexiest thing on the planet. I would have to say that it comes a close second after herself.
    The problem:-I have very little cello music apart from the Bach solo Cello suites.

So does anybody know of any good Cello music that stirs the passions, so to speak. Don't have to be solo pieces just something that you can hear the cello in.

Oh I just found ‘Aria (Cantilena): Adagio - Villa-Lobos Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5’ which is not a bad start.

Let the contest begin.

Griobhta

Whether you use LimeWire, MyNapster, Grokster, or KaZaA, just enter the name, Yo Yo Ma and pick out the sexiest one. He even teamed up with Bluegrass fiddler, Mark O'Connor and made an album of Appalachian music.

JP

Thanks for the suggestions Caddmannq. Off looking for them now. I did the same as yourself gave away all my old music, about 160 off CD's, and listened to nothing but classical with the odd bit of traditional music.

Listening to other music now but have to agree that nothing moves like bach or beethoven. Their music is the only thing that will reach me when things are going a little pear-shaped. The level of emotion found in some pieces of 'classical' music is without equal.

Griobhta

I believe that the greater majority of "yo yo ma"'s music is cello if not all of it. look up his name, and you should be in business... he is amazing

-Z

Wow!! Guess what? I play the cello! At least I did for about 9 years into my freshmen year of college at UNT as a music major. Hmm....passionate cello music...as far as artists go, I'd search for Leonard Rose, Mistlav Rostropovich (sp?) and Yo-Yo-Ma. These guys can and did really rock it. For even more old school, look for Pablo Casals - he was awesome. As far as pieces go, look for anything 19th Century as it will be of the Romantic Era, which generally gave birth to more "passionate" music compared to the melodic Classical and disciplined Boroque periods. The Dvorak Cello concerto is simply amazing, also look up Saint-Saens: Cello Concerto and The Swan. Also, Faure is pretty good too, check out his Elegy - its pretty passionate.

If you need any more ideas, let me know and I'll go through my books and music and post back with more stuff. Good luck with the lady, and I definately agree with her!!!

BTW, anymore classical buffs out there?? Lets hear from you!

Timbob

Well folks thanks for all your suggestions. Had a lovely night in as a result. Although some of the suggestions i am keeping for some other time, never play all your hand at once.

One further question, when was the last time you met a stunning looking girl, she's won a few modelling competitions, that said she thought being good with computers was very sexy? don't know which one of us needs help the most.

Griobhta

Hmm... naked woman playing cello, I can't think of anything more sexy ?

Is it the music or the thought of it?

Curious Justy.