Thread: Windows 95 OSR2 and RAM

Cool Windows 95 OSR2 and RAM

What is the optimum amount of PC-133 RAM for Windows 95 OSR2. Currently have 64MB. Am considering adding another 64MB to total 128MB. Is this advisable? Will there be any increase or decrease in performance? System is AMD-K6/400 on a SOYO 5EMA+1 M/B.

Lightbulb

I'd say, look if your hard drive makes lots of swapping during normal usage. Also, check current RAM usage with system monitor. If you see swapping or very little free memory, than adding more RAM will help. Otherwise, stick to your current amount.

Of corse, more RAM won't hurt, but if you don't use your existing 64 megs fully, there's not much sense in upgrading.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information happyhamster.

Lightbulb

I use that version of Windows in my main computer. I use 320 megs of RAM but that is overkill for most folks. You probably will not need more than 128 megs if you are an average user. If you just do word processing, web surfing, chat programs etc, then you have plenty of RAM already.

Lightbulb

You will see a marked improvement in performance when going from 64 to 128. If you play virtually any 3d game, you will diskswap with 64 meg. Office applications, whatever. VERY few people will not use their swap file alot with 64 meg of ram. Absolutely upgrade to 128.

Thumbs up

Many thanks a bill and ktwebb. Will pick up the additional RAM at next computer show here in Toronto later on in the month.

Lightbulb

Agreed. 64 to 128 is a nice boost. 128 to 256 is a minimal improvement for windows. Wont be hitting the swap file much at all. 256 is good for say, if you run Photoshop and Director at the same time, etc.. But if ya got the means, go for it.

XT

[This message has been edited by XT (edited 04-03-2000).]

Lightbulb

AMD's processors have low fpu(floting point unit)than intel.
    If you have a display card with 1/2 mb vram
    upgrade it to 4/8 mb. This will sure improve the performance.Otherwise go for RAM upgrade.

Exclamation

& now 1 more tip.

I use Your version of Win'95 now & have only 24Mb RAM. Its not a lot, but 4 me its anought - I use only office progs, Delphi 3,
    & some 3D-games (Quake 2 & same).

Of 'coz swp-file exist, but I use Memory meneger QEMM97 - it rewrite info from swp-file back into the memory, when I close one or more applications opened B4. If U lookin' for it - write me.

As 4 me, 64Mb - it's more than enough for Win'95 (its not Win'98 :-)).

& free memory - new problem :"How 2 Use It???"

Scar

P.S. Sorry my English

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information XT, Swany, & Scar.