Thread: Red Alert 2 tech help needed!

Red Alert 2 tech help needed!

Ok guys and gals, I've been trying for a couple months to get my copy of RA2 fixed to no avail. Why I waited until now to turn here I don't know. Sysopt should never be my LAST resort, it should be one of my first!

Anyway, here's the problem: I bought the game in January, it ran great for months (I had WinME and Win2k dual-booted at the time; it ran fine in both). Sometime around May, shortly after updating it to version 1.006, the game started giving me "internal error" messages (in both OS's, btw). I figured, "no problem, I'll just reinstall RA2."

Didn't work. The game would reinstall, but crashed as soon as I tried to open it. The auto-update feature would download the patch but stopped responding as it tried to install it. So I downloaded the manual patch file and tried that... still no luck. I got an error "Old file does not exist. However, a new file is in place" or something to that effect.

I was getting desperate so I fdisk'ed/formatted and reinstalled WinME. Reinstalled RA2, same problem! I have consulted the Westwood tech help site but all it says is to unistall the game and search the registry for all RA2/Westwood entries and to delete them before reinstalling the game. I did that every time I tried a reinstall, so that was no help. Sysopt truly is my last resort on this one. If anybody can help me, I know from experience that it's the kind folks here!

My system specs are as follows, although nothing has changed in my hardware configuration in the past couple months (the game was still working at the time) so I seriously doubt this will help:

Tekram P6Pro-A+ Motherboard
    P3 733
    384 MB PC 100 RAM
    Radeon VIVO 64 MB DDR
    Dual Voodoo2's in SLI connection
    Philips Acoustic Edge sound card
    16x Pioneer DVD-ROM (Slot loaded)
    4x4x24x HP CD Writer CD-R/RW
    DirectX 8.0a and all latest drivers installed

(Edit - Added system specs just incase )

[This message has been edited by Natedogg15 (edited 09-13-2001).]

Hi,

I don't mean to offend you, but Is your copy of RA2 original? My friend once bought a fake copy and it always gave me this message. Once again I do not mean to offend you.

-Nishant
    Last edited by nishant; 09-14-2001 at 07:05 AM.

No offense taken. Yes, my copy of RA2 is a legit retail copy. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Fortunately, after working on the problem for hours yesterday, I was able to get it working. I had to install it on another computer, patch it, then copy the game files from that PC onto my main PC. Problem solved. I still have no idea why I had to go through all this though...