Thread: Quake3 without 3dcard

Question Quake3 without 3dcard

Is there anyway I can play quake3 without a 3dcard? BTW, can I play Unreal Tournament without a 3dcard

Ultimate Member
    all around................................

Lightbulb

You can play UT without a card....well depends on what kind of chip you are running
    and how much ram you have.

I have run UT in software at 1024 x 768,and it actually ran fine and looked good,it got a little choppy at times though.....I have a celeron 366 OCed to 605 though.

If you have a 300Mhz intel and 64 megs of ram I bet you could run it fine at 640 x 480.

[This message has been edited by oblivion (edited 03-16-2000).]

Cool

There is a program out there that will emulate OpenGL in software (or in Direct3D I think, it also emulates Direct3D in software) but doing that has got to be one of the worst ideas ever. Emulating OpenGL over Direct3D might not be so bad, but you can expect the worst conciveble frame rates over software based OpenGL... It's from a company called something like SiTech. I think the program can be found at www.3dfiles.com

Lightbulb

Q3 you can forget it needs 3d support with full open gl.

Unreal tourney im not sure about though it needs a 4 meg card.

Ultimate Member

Lightbulb

you have to have a 3d card for q3 and a 2meg minimum for ut.

Lightbulb

Get yourself a pci 3d card like the voodoo 2-1000 card for about $80.00 usually comes with a manufacture's rebate of $30.00. This will give you good 3d graphics (800x600) with Quake 3 etc. You can add it to any agp or pci existing graghics card.

Smile

Quake 3 is completely playable on an ATI Rage Pro 4mb card, I have one. In the UK they go for maybe £15 now so just hand over that tiny amount . . . and play the game! Voodoo2's are good as well, they are a lot quicker and are cheap now too

Thumbs up

Thanks EVERYONE FOR THE HELP

Ultimate Member krusty the klown's Avatar

Thumbs up

Of course, you get a cheap 3D card, play UT or Q3, think the frame rates leave a bit to be desired......

....so you find out how to overclock the card, download the utility, strap a heatsink and fan to the graphics chip and clock the sllab off it!!!

Angry

There is such a thing as opengl software rendering - you don't need a 3d card. I tried it - I suggest you don't.