Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who's still crackin RC5?

Ultimate Member

Who's still crackin RC5?

Is anyone here still cracking RC5? I am...I've done too much to quit and I'd hate to throw it all away.

~Joel

Ultimate Member
    I still have a few cows munching, but it's due to not knowing where they are or not wanting to shed any concern as to why it's being removed.

I've moved over to eccp-109 now.

izzy

Joel Kleppinger
    I think you err when saying that the "I'm out of here too" people are not leaving RC5. Because they are. Just look at our pproxy stats (www.statsaholic.com) for proof... we're down by half of our blocks.

It's just that there are others, like myself, that are yet unconvinced that leaving distributed.net is the choice for them, at least for the moment. That is my place.

Time will tell...

I'm with Joel. The clients work well and the personal proxy works well going thru a corporate http proxy.

I view this as a marathon and after three years+ of running I(We) just can't quit now. I'm about to get into the DNet top 1000.

I wish the volunteers of DNet were better at dealing with the press in this McOwen situation.

The GE Enter Team.

I'm still cracking them, but for someone else.

I see the guy as having to pay the consequences for his poor decisions. If everyone feels really bad for the guy who got in trouble, send him a check...thats what he really needs.

Ultimate Member
    I'm not personally angry at Mcnett or D'net, my stance is one of observance.

I may restart crunching for D'net in the future, but I want to see what happens with the trial first and monitor the reaction/support D'net puts forward.

izzy

Mntsnow
    Well I still have 4 or 5 boxes that are still cracking the RC5 that I just havent been able to get to yet so I can kill the client on those one's too. (2 boxes at my old work and 2 maybe 3 little one's that are freinds) as soon as I can they will be stopped as well. I chocked up over 4 million blocks and just decided to give my boxes a well deserved rest at this point in time and kick back and watch how all this plays out.

[This message has been edited by Mntsnow (edited 08-16-2001).]

I've still got about 40 machines on RC5. I was going to uninstall them but they're due a re-imagining soon for some new classes coming in, I just let them go! Sysopt's stats dropping as bad as they, were the main reason! And also to make the DVNT1 work harder to get to the top slot

Ultimate Member
    I'm with Joel on this one too. I like the client and how well Dnet is organized. I too feel that the only way to help that guy is to mail him a nice fat check or a hefty paypal deposit. He brought this on himself.

~Joel

Thanks for the concern Randy.

I'm still doing RC5 for reason similar to which Joel mentioned. I was originally doing Seti (near the top 1K or 2K mark) until I quit it in Nov. '00. Seti was a lousy client at the work place (at least then).
    Started testing RC5 then and near Jan '01 started adding it on other machines. RC5 isn't even seen by the users and doesn't cry out for attention if you can't feed it. System stability is relatively good too with RC5.
    I'll let the pioneers work with the newer projects and problems so I can focus on my daily work and MXing (when I don't have any injuries to deal with ).

I finally decided to use my computers to crack something that might help someone with medical problems (might even be me) I am doing Stanford's genome@home project, granted some company might get money from my computers work, but more importantly they might be able to use the work to solve medical issues. just my 2 cents. I only cracked rc5 for over 400 days (I did like how easy it ran on all OS's) but like I said medical issues are more important to me. (hated to leave team)

Chief, did you leave the team a while ago? Sysopt now has a G@H team. There is only a few of use working on it. That is why you don't hear too much of it.

Chief,

If you don't mind, we appreciate your support on the Sysopt team. I understand how you feel. Unless you are way up high on the current team you're on, you could move quick on this team.
    http://genomeathome.stanford.edu/teams/Sysopt.html

Hope to see you soon.

e

Do you guys need help with the RC5? I left but I can come back.