Thread: Speed Up SETI

Speed Up SETI

My SETI runs really slow. It take and average of 20hrs to do one data packet.
    My system includes:
    Athlon 1ghz.
    Asus a7z w/ KT133 chip
    256 pc100 ram
    20 gig 2700 West. Digital. HDD Ata 66
    SB live
    3com NIC
    DVD & CDRW
    win me

what is the best OS to run SETI?
    also, what can i do to speed it up. I have seen athlon 900's do data packets in 7 hrs. whats the prob!

Ultimate Member
    I do not know if this will still work or if it is still an option...

but I read once that if you turn off the colorful graphical display on the client you get a substantial boost in speed.

izzy

[This message has been edited by izzzy12k (edited 06-21-2001).]

I dont think thats it. That would not make it run that slow. I downloaded SETI Spy and compared it to other processors adn it said i was running below a K6-2. Somethings not right. The compare list said i shoud be doing more than twice as good as i am now. Whats wrong. Is there something i need to change in m y bios?

Are you using the GUI client or CLI client? Using the command line client with Seti Driver allows you to crunch Wu's faster. With your 1Ghz setup, I've seen dudes knock them off in 5hrs.

At the moment I'm receiving Wu's that require more time than average to complete. I believe this has something to do with the WU and not your comp. VLARS??

Good luck.

edit: Spelling

[This message has been edited by EazyduzIt (edited 06-22-2001).]

Dokeman,
    Yes, make sure that the pretty graphics never come up. There is a whole section on this at the seti site.

The CLI client is MUCH faster than the GUI windows version. It does not use any graphics.. just crunches numbers.

Even with the graphics up, though, you shouldn't have THAT slow of a work unit.. something is definiely amiss. Are you running RC5 or some other crunching program at the same time?

No, SETI is the only thing running. I will ry the non graphical version

for an idea on how fast you can get seti to run http://tlc.hagabard.com/bench/303results.htm try this page.thats the one that got me seriously addicted

it looks like the gig chips are at about 6 to 6.5 hr range,unless you overclock the snot out of em

[This message has been edited by the_dog (edited 07-03-2001).]

uhh, that sucks Dokeman.
    I only have a celeron300 overclocked 450, and Im doing 17 hours for package, in the screensaver mode only(with graphics). I think you should try benchmarking with a real benchmarking ultility to see if all your system is slow or only Seti. or it may be that crappy Win ME.

Do you have any screensaver that comes on?

What's the setting of your power management? do you turn off harddrive or go into suspend mode?