Thread: Sharing files on a Win2000 box

Sharing files on a Win2000 box

hey guys i have 5 comptuers networked and sharing a dsl line and one of the computers is running Windows 2000 Pro. When the computer boots up, it doesnt ask for a password and boots right up to the desktop. However when i try to access files on that computer from any of the other computers on the network it asks for a password. The problem is i dont ever remeber setting a password into the system when i installed the OS. I am able to set the harddrive to share but still asks for a password. Any help as to how i can set up a pasword or find out what the password is on that paticular computer would be greatly appreciated.

w2k needs confirmation that the requesting user can have access to the data shared. When sharing something make a specific account that has access rights to the folder. Thus, when trying to map a network drive on the w2k it will ask for a password and username. win9x machines can't do that, so the username in the w2k has to match the username used to log onto the win9x machine.
    You have enabled in the system policies to logon locally without asking for username and password, thus it logs on with the account you specified upon installing w2k.
    -M

The default account can be found by right clicking the My Computer icon and selecting manage. Under System Tools expand Local Users and Groups. The Users folder will contain the default local account name. To reset the password right click the account name and select Set Password.

As far as forcing a logon prompt to appear - that is controlled in the control panel under Users and Password.

WARNING:do not check the box to force user to logon unless your absolutely sure you know a valid username and password of a local account that has local administrative rights. Otherwise you may loose full access to the operating system!

There are two ways to let 9x machines hit your shares:

1) Set up local user accounts for them. The same username and password as what they log in as. This works for sure, I use this at home.

If you want to be more secure, make a local group, add the 9x machines to it, then go into the local security policy editor and add the group to the "deny logon locally" "permission"

2) Set up your shares so "anonymous user" gets read and set up your NTFS permissions so "anonymous user" can read it. I'm almost completely sure this will work, but keep in mind that anybody with access to your computer (over the internet or over your LAN) will have the level of permissions you set (read or read/write).