Thread: Returning my computer from the network

You were right - it's looking for the network or trying to resolve an IP since it can't find anything to assign one to it. I've read that if you give it an IP and subnet it won't take so long since there's nothing else to argue with it.

Try adding NetBEUI and getting rid of other protocols that aren't needed, such as TCP/IP. Unless, you are on the Internet you will need TCP. I found that in my past experiences with networks, NetBEUI is a fast and reliable protocol.
    Mike

Yes what Toad said is true assign the NIC a private ip address (something in the form of 192.168.0.1 with a subnet mask 255.255.255.0 will work) and you should notice a faster boot up time.

[This message has been edited by mtpros (edited 06-06-2001).]

Just wanted to say thanks again, assigning an IP and subnet really helped with my boot up time.

Returning my computer from the network

Hey guys i recently disconnected my main computer from my home network, and noticed that my boot up time has dramatically increased, especially when at the Win98 screen. Correct me if im wrong but i think it is because my NIC is looking for the network or a DHCP server while booting up. My question is how can i shrink my boot time back to normal, prior to networking it without physically taking out the NIC. Thanks for your help in advance.